Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy Sedan Lowering

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy II
im looking to get my vy ii sedan lowered, and as i have almost no knowledge of cars im looking for help, i want the lowering to be legal, and top of the range shocks, anyone have any idea how much this will cost me? and also i want a camber kit? if thats how you spell it

trentvy

Dodges raindrops
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S pack
theres alot of posts on lowering. basically ask around at some shops for prices. personally i think king spring sl (super low) for the front and maybe ssl for rear. and I would strongly advise get a camber kit. i payed 300 for my camber kit and 140 each pair of springs for my car.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Im sure that sl are legal an ssl are illegal so you mite want to get sl all round if you want it to be legal.
An prices vary alot i payed $1100(i think) from pedders about 3years ago fitted sl front ssl rear an struts + shocks to match.

Notorious_Matt

Wicked Motorsports
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ SS Ute
I measured my VY yesterday and it's sitting 200mm off of the groud with stock suspension which means you can legally lower it 75mm (Ultra Low Springs) which will bring it down to 125mm. 25mm above the legal lowest height of a vehicle. I've been out to the Transport Department and asked about it they gave the all clear on the new height, I went to the local police station and asked them about the new height and they kind of ummed and arred over it until they gave me an all clear but advised it wouldn't be a good idea for that height because it's so close to the limit :/

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I measured my VY yesterday and it's sitting 200mm off of the groud with stock suspension which means you can legally lower it 75mm (Ultra Low Springs) which will bring it down to 125mm. 25mm above the legal lowest height of a vehicle. I've been out to the Transport Department and asked about it they gave the all clear on the new height, I went to the local police station and asked them about the new height and they kind of ummed and arred over it until they gave me an all clear but advised it wouldn't be a good idea for that height because it's so close to the limit :/
Hey notorious just wondering how you measured your car?, because there is no way that sssl are legal.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
Hey notorious just wondering how you measured your car?, because there is no way that sssl are legal
im not sure if different states have different rules but in nsw a car has to be 100mm above the ground... this is generally measured at the centre of the 2 axles but im pretty sure coppers measure from the lowest point of the car

All vehicles must conform to the ground clearance requirements specified in the Regulation. This
requires that ground clearance of a vehicle or combination must:
(i)be at least 100 mm within one metre of an axle
(ii)and be at least one-thirtieth of the distance between
centres of adjacent axles measured at the midpoint
between them, and
(iii) allow the vehicle to pass over a peak in the road
with a gradient on either side of 1:15, with the wheels
of one axle of the vehicle on the slope on one side of
the peak and the wheels of the next axle are on the
slope of the other side. This requirement applies
between all axles of a vehicle or combination.
For vehicles manufactured after 16 October 2007, the following requirements also apply:
1. The running clearance for a vehicle other than a motor cycle must not be less than 100 mm.
this is the rta guides
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrat..._for_light_vehicle_modifications_nov_2007.pdf

this might also help for some general guidelines for other mods
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrat..._for_light_vehicle_modifications_nov_2007.pdf

also if you dont live in nsw check on your traffic peoples website and you should be able to get some info if you need

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i understand the 100mm thing but my vx ss is on sl front and ssl rear an the lowest point of my car which is the cats as of 5mins ago with half a tank is bang on 100mm an the bottom of my diff is 110mm so add a driver,passangers an fuel an its going to be to low. so i dont see how sssl can be legal. yet i have been wrong before.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
yeah i understand the 100mm thing but my vx ss is on sl front and ssl rear an the lowest point of my car which is the cats as of 5mins ago with half a tank is bang on 100mm an the bottom of my diff is 110mm so add a driver,passangers an fuel an its going to be to low. so i dont see how sssl can be legal. yet i have been wrong before.
i suppose some cars are different... also i heard different brands have slightly different strength springs so some sit slightly higher/lower than others... maybe stiffer shocks or something like would help im not sure... also if its a v6 it will have slightly less weight in it so it might sit a bit higher although most of that extra weight will be on the front shocks so im not sure there would be a whole lot of difference