Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Service Items

neville17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore Lumina
I bought my VY Commodore Lumina brand new in 2002. Only done 120000k since new. Been regularly serviced and looked after, never had any major problems. I always do a minor service, oil, filter etc between garage service no problem. Unfortunately It has come to the point where I can't afford to take it to the garage anymore so I have to do some of the more "adventurous" items myself but I don't want to stuff up the car. Could anyone please offer advice on the following service items:
1. Lubricate Automatic Transmission Shift Linkage: Where is it, how do you get to it & what type of grease do you use?
2. Replace fuel filter: Any tips on how to do this? It looks like the fuel lines need depressurising first?
Thanks.

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
1 don't bother unless you go thru a lot off water,,,, never heard off any one ever doing that graphite look under car

2 yes needs de pressurising pull fuel pump fuse start car it will stop.. be carefull the plastic clips can break then your up for big money theres a cheap tool you can buy /supercheap/ autobarn . me personally take it too a mechanic its only a ten minute job

neville17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore Lumina
Thanks loopie for the reply. I was wondering if you have any more info on the fuel filter removal tool I think you were referring to? Where are the plastic clips that can break? Maybe a quick job but most mechanics will charge min 1hr = $100+ (just for a fuel filter?) and then you are left wondering if they actually did the job or not.
Cheers.

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
Thanks loopie for the reply. I was wondering if you have any more info on the fuel filter removal tool I think you were referring to? Where are the plastic clips that can break? Maybe a quick job but most mechanics will charge min 1hr = $100+ (just for a fuel filter?) and then you are left wondering if they actually did the job or not.
Cheers.

go into a car parts place, ask for kwick disconnect tool. ebay if you need too see them looks like round plastic tools,some filters come with the spare clips they are what holds the line on the filter squeeze tabs too remove... but if your going too try best advive I can give get some wd40 or cheaper **** and clean the quick disconnects..and yea trust in a mechanic is hard when you earn $20 bucks a hour and they want 100 bucks per hour ,just serviced my vz oil/and filter $50 bucks and 1 beer job. oil ( shell) from kmart cheaper than car shops

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
easy to tell if the fuel filters been done,just crawl underneath the back and it should be really shiny lol,there are several threads on here relating to depressurising your system and auto services etc

neville17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore Lumina
Thanks corhijasna, Iv'e heard of some shops will actually spray paint old filters so that they look nice & new & shiny! Just wondering if running the engine to stop by removing the fuel pump relay can impact on the cars computer system? I think I read somewhere that it can but not sure on this one and a little hesitant to try it?
Cheers.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
I don't blame you,yes mechanics have done this but you could always ask for the old one and get the new one from repco or someone else and supply it to them,still check after but its pretty easy to see if its been painted by all the dirt etc around it,there are a few threads relating to depressurising in the vy and vz section,if not you can buy a book through ebay for roughly 40-50 dollars and follow the steps,personally I would just get it done as I am too old and lazy lol to muck around with the fuel system.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Just wondering if running the engine to stop by removing the fuel pump relay can impact on the cars computer system? I think I read somewhere that it can but not sure on this one and a little hesitant to try it?
Cheers.

It won't hurt anything....It's the standard procedure for relieving fuel pressure.

1) Remove the fuel pump relay.
2) Start the car and let it stall.
3) Turn the engine over for a further 10 seconds, just to make sure all the pressure is fully relieved.

When you remove the filter, have a container handy to catch any fuel that comes out of the filter and/or the fuel lines.

Oh....Don't forget to replace the relay after you've fitted the new filter (says with embarrassment).

Happy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Executive S2 3.8 Ecotec
Do yourself a favor & buy yourself a Gregory's workshop manual for about $40.
It will answer nearly all the questions you want to ask & give you the confidence to do things yourself.
Money well spent.

Happy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Executive S2 3.8 Ecotec
As Nut Kracker said make sure you crank the engine over for a good 10 seconds to reduce pressure to zero. You will then find it easy to push the plastic fuel line connector toward the fuel filter, squeeze the flats of the plastic connector with your fingers (it's that easy) & pull it off the fuel filter. If you don't reduce the fuel pressure to zero you will never be able to pull the connector off the filter even with pliers.