Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy ss fuel consumption

Conn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 SS ute
hey guys,

just recently bought a 2004 II vy ss ute auto, it has 61,000 km's on it and just had a 60,000 km service, it is completely stock bar a dual 2 1/2 inch catback exhaust, the computer says it consumes roughly 18 - 21 per 100 kms all depending on traffic condition, i do not thrash it either. a workmate of mine has a vz ss ute auto and goes through about 13.5 litres per 100? any suggestions. thanks.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
What kind of traffic are you driving in?

Conn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 SS ute
stop start traffic, i'm in melbourne driving home from work in peak hour through royal parade (zoo), that kind of traffic everyday..

vy-346

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T 6A & VH-ZXA
Hi mate , there is a few things to consider before thinking its a mechanical issue. What is your average speed on the trip computer? As said, what kind of traffic are you driving in, and also being new have you been giving it a bit here and there? Reset the trip computer and drive it like a girl for a few days and see how you go :)

Conn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 SS ute
sorry danja, just saw you're in sydney, it's a one lane road and takes forever to get through it, takes me over an hour where as it realistically should take roughly 10 - 15 minutes

Conn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 SS ute
i have tried those things, i fill up and reset it straight away and don't give it to it at all, i think my ave. speed is around 30ish? the best i think i have gotten out of a full tank is a smidge over 350 kms?

vy-346

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T 6A & VH-ZXA
18l/100 is probably right with ave speed of 30. If it was up around 45-50kmh your consumption would be obviously much better. Does your mate drive the same route as you?

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Yeah, if I take the busiest route into Sydney in peak hour I'll often see it around 18L. It's not abnormal.

I found a route which I pay a toll for, but I now average 13.5L (avg speed ~40) and save heaps of time, so I don't mind spending $3.50 a day :p

To answer your question though, 18 might be about right, even with granny driving you'll be doing well to get 15-16 in that kind of traffic.

Conn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 SS ute
oh ok, i guess that's fair enough then, another thing...
what should i be getting on the highway? the best that i've gotten it down to is 12 litres per 100 and that is sitting on 100 for a very long time? i heard it should be around 10?

vy-346

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T 6A & VH-ZXA
yep sitting on 100km/h for a while 9-10l/100 is easily achievable in an Ls1. Again just reset the trip comp before you hit the highway which ur prob aleady doin.