Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy ss ute, dramas with aftermarket headunit and battery

vs3.8ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed VE SSV
having some issues with my pioneer headunit that i installed into my vy ute a couple of days ago.

speakers all work and the headunit turns on and off and remembers all setting with no problems however, when the ute is turned off for a fairly long period of time i come back to it and the battery is completely drained. it is like the constant is draining my battery.

it is wired up as follows,

constant from ute ( orange/black stripe (one of 2)) - (yellow) on head unit
accessories from ute (yellow) - (red) on headunit
ground from ute (black/white) - (black) on headunit
all speakers all hooked up properly and working.

i am not sure if the multimeter isnt working properly as well but both of the orange wires with black stripes (on the ute) are coming through with constant power, but the yellow cable that i was told should be the accessories (on the ute) has no power coming througgh when accessories are turned on...... please help

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Does the h/u stay on when the keys are.removed from the ignition? I found a similar thing with both orange wires having constant power in my VY too, best to check all the wires you are using with a multi metre first, to make sure you have the right switched power etc.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Disconnect you negative battery terminal ( make sure key is off ). Put one wire from you multi meter to the neg battery terminal and the other to the negative on the chassis. Have the multi meter on amps and record the reading, repeat the test with the fuse removed for the HU. make sure no doors are open and the interior light is off. you should have a reading less than 0.05ohm.