Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SS with no bonnet insulation

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore SS 5.7L M6
Hi all,

I've searched high and low and cannot find a photograph that I'm after. I'm looking for a shot of a VY, preferably an SS that shows the car with the bonnet open and the insulation removed. I'm considering doing it myself but it would be nice to know what it's going to look like. There's nothing much wrong with my insulation at the moment, so I don't want to remove it only to find out it looks horrid without it haha.

If anyone has a picture of theirs or knows where I can find a picture I'd be keen to hear about it.

Cheers

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Best bet would be go to a wreckers and have a look.. You might need to clean and polish the underside of the bonnet too

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I have done it.
Looks fine.

You gain 25rwkw too. :)

Serously though, get a bit more noise from the engine, bonnet can get a bit hotter if dont use the turtle engine cover or single covers but otherwise is fine

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore SS 5.7L M6
I have done it.
You gain 25rwkw too. :)

<sarcasm> Ah sik man, cheers, den wen I get my Chev badges and cut the rear springs I'll be pullin ezy 500+rwkw and can pul wikid skidz n shi</sarcasm>

Cheers for the answers guys. My VY is stock, and I love it, I do. But here's how I see it...
Holden took the VY Commodore, a relatively nice family sedan, they gave it a nice looking SS body kit, tweaked the suspension a bit, painted it very nicely in Hot House Green, and then to top it off, they put a 5.7L V8 right at the heart of it all. And then they proceeded to do everything possible to hide the fact that the V8 is there... I'm aiming to undo some of that last part haha!

Thanks for the link Justin, Josh's looks pretty average to me not having been painted, but at least I can see the bonnet structure. I won't ask for a photo of yours uniacids as yours is a VX it won't look the same anyway. (Did you do anything to hide your window washer hoses though?) And thanks uniacidz for confirming what I already thought, as far as I understand, the insulator is their too keep noise and heat in but I've read many threads with people having had the insulator removed for years with no issues (none of them backed anything up with photos though).

I will keep hunting and hoping for a photo of one that has been painted, but this has been progress, cheers.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
I took the insulation stuff off the bonnet on my vn v8 calais and in winter steam would come off the bonnet when at the lights or slow moving traffic..

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
I've removed mine, it's unpainted in the Centre of it. And there's no washer lines as they don't go into the bonnet

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

blackcadd

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
If you go to fleebay I saw som last week for 79.00 big kahoonas

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk