Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SV8 engine knock...

brapdat

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' Vy Sv8
Hey guys

i bought an sv8 a couple weeks ago, 2003 s1 with 134,000km, paid $10,500 for it.
have done around 3500km since i bought it, then on sat im sitting in a carpark waiting for the missus to run into woolies, left the car on with aircon on as it was fair warm.

when she came back out and opened the door i heard a 'knock knock knock' coming from the enginebay.
gave it a few hundred revs to see if it was my car and sure enough, it was.

switched it off, switched it back on again, and it was still there.

popped the bonnet, checked the oil, sure enough it was lower then normal but not seriously low.
dropped the bonnet, started it up again and it went away.

now this is my first commodore, and or v8 to be honest, so its all knew territory to me
the car has full service history etc

the 1 thing which really surprised me, is i just went out and checked to see if the oil pressure light in dash comes on when i turn the key (before starting it) and it doesnt, which is of a huge concern, and honestly, i didnt even notice this when i bought it.

any suggestions? idea's ?

only knocked once in about 3500km, after idling for a short period.

cheers

adz

vy2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Try top up your oil if its low, see if it happens again.

If it does continue, by the sounds (being knocking, rather than light ticking), could be the dreaded piston slap problem , common in LS1 5.7 motors. take it to your local workshop to confirm.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
piston slap was common back when VT had the first of the motors, it was sorted way before VX hit the sales floor.

I would be changing the oil and filter make sure you have the recommended amount around 6L

brapdat

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' Vy Sv8
Try top up your oil if its low, see if it happens again.

If it does continue, by the sounds (being knocking, rather than light ticking), could be the dreaded piston slap problem , common in LS1 5.7 motors. take it to your local workshop to confirm.

Have decided I'm gonna take it to a mechanic to get an oil pressure test done, the fact that the oil light don't work, and or is disconnected is a big concern!!

vy2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Last edited:

brapdat

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' Vy Sv8
well after trawling youtube for piston slap videos of an ls1, i found a video which sounds exactly like what my car sound like the other day
here's the video of the 1 on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2xbQYB4Ce4

mine stopped after switching it off, twice, and restarting it
so can anybody tell me what this sounds like?

cheers