Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy v6 doesnt get in 4th gear after 180 km/h

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Today i was driving on the highway doing 120, wanting to see how fast the car can go, i floor it... car down shifts to 3rd gear...and stays at 3rd gear all the way to 190 km/h, rpm at 5000. I let go of the gas just a little to get it to shift to 4th...sure enough it shifts but, now the car is doing less that 180. So i give it gas slowly in order to reach 180, but then the car down shifts to 3rd, engine roaring at 5000 rpm. So i keep the gas pedal at a constant position so it could shift but it doesnt. I very slowly give it more gas, still stays at 3rd.

So basically, no matter how fast im stepping on the gas and how im trying to reach 180km/h, the car down shifts to 3rd gear before 180 and stays on 3rd well past when its supposed to shift to 4th...all after 180.

Anyone know whats going on?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
UAE sounds like THE place to drive.

Danny

Reaction score
Members Ride
Soon to get WL
Seam to remember my exs old sv6 when you were in power mode punched it then backed of real quick it would hold the gear before to slow you down part of sport I guess if your on a track and back off for a corner it's to help

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 1 Tonner S V6 Raptor Charged!
I think the main reason for it shifting back into 3rd is because 4th gear is just an overdrive. It is designed for cruising on the highway to keep the engine revs nice and low, reducing fuel usage. It isn't designed to have high revs (power) applied to it.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Years ago, back in the days when it was legal to use radar detectors here in NSW, I used to drive a brand new VN calais at these speeds all the time, and I found that the same thing would happen at around the same speeds. The engine just doesnt have enough power to be able to pull the car along in 4th at those speeds. It will shift up into 4th when you back the throttle off slightly, but it will then start to lose speed, so it shifts back to 3rd again. The 88 model calais I had, would do 210 flat. The later model VNV6/VPV6 etc I drove at the time, just didnt seem to go as good as the very first VN models, and most would be flat at around 190 or thereabouts..

DTM87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Chevrolet Lumina S V6 (VY Commodore)
UAE sounds like THE place to drive.

Hahaha, It is! But too many people have no idea how to drive.
But still cameras everywhere, ESP between Abu Dhabi to Dubai. Speed limit is 120km/h but there are MAX SPEED signs of 140km/h. Still continue to get passed by Landcruisers, Patrols, Mercs and BMWs.

Anyway to the issue at hand, I tend to agree with vy1tonnerbloke, 4th being overdrive could be the issue

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
i can say that the vy will go into 4th at those speeds as i have been in a v6 vy doing 210+ km/h.......... it was a interesting ride and i dont really want to do it again