Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy v6 engine blown.. last resort vx v6?

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
hey people

shagged my motor, killed a piston in pieces...looks to be cheaper in my situation just to get another motor,seeing i have to shift a 1000ks for uni in 2 weeks or less.

looks cheaper just to swap motors? rebuild kits can get pricey..and genuine parts are hard to find.

i have a vx motor in sight for a quick snapup...........easy to swap? or should i try to get another vy v6?? im so not keen on a vt v6 trying to stay away......both engines are are auto.

im mechanically minded with the right answer from this point.......

research tells me sumps are different? throttlebody cause of IAC? and possibly knock sensor/s? not much i can answer.........most questions ive looked up are in reverse vy to vt.......

first time ive been on here in years so yes im lost........:hmmm:

*tight budget.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Sumps bigger in the VY to give it the 15,000km service intervals. Just do every 10,000km with the VX motor.

And as far as I know, everything else is the same.

Deltak

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi,

To remain legal you must replace /repair the existing motor with similar (i.e. from an VY), otherwise the rego becomes null and your insurance is void. They would know by the engine No. pointing to a VX and being earlier than the VY, leaving you to argue a loosing case!

Suggest a good - going engine from as late model VY as possible, preferably similar trim to match the BCM. The cost should be comparable and leave you with less hassles.

Good luck with your studies.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Hi,

To remain legal you must replace /repair the existing motor with similar (i.e. from an VY), otherwise the rego becomes null and your insurance is void. They would know by the engine No. pointing to a VX and being earlier than the VY, leaving you to argue a loosing case!

Suggest a good - going engine from as late model VY as possible, preferably similar trim to match the BCM. The cost should be comparable and leave you with less hassles.

Good luck with your studies.

What a load of crap. The ADR is exactly the same.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Ive found a vy engine from 2002 :)

mine is 2004, i think ill have no dramas with it..

should be no need for bcm,ecu swapping? what about the keys? should just turn over?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Ive found a vy engine from 2002 :)

mine is 2004, i think ill have no dramas with it..

should be no need for bcm,ecu swapping? what about the keys? should just turn over?

Yep, everything should plug into the existing looms, and fire straight up.

brinz96VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Calais
do the swap mate, if the prospective motor in mind is in good condition.
I fitted another V6 to a VY wagon a few months ago and it runs fine.
Also wise to revise the vehicle details. There is a form down here in vic to do so, could be a similar procedure in QLD.
I provided the receipt for the motor with the donar cars VIN, and vicroads inspected the new engine number, and updated my VYs vehicle details.
This may not be necessary for you, but if you ever sell the car it may cause an issue.