Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY v6 unfixable front end clunk

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
sharp corners and roundabouts , you can replicatate the clunk if you turn the steering wheel left and right while driving straight

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Check your rack and rack mounts.

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
have a look at ur tie rod ends. i had a clunk that i couldnt find for ages then i accidently found it when i had the car jacked. you could move the wheels left and right a couple of mill and the steering rack didnt move cause the ball joint inside the tie rod ends were so worn.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
i have a fix that you can try....... where the lower control arm ball joints are, in the metal casting that comes to a point towards the engine, like a bump stop, rub some grease on that point and it will go away, occurs on full lock when you go over small undulations or road camber changes,

heres a pic

you can see where it rubs, make a loud audible bang or clunk, or creaking

Attachments

• edit.jpg
    edit.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 3,176
Last edited:

jav360

Reaction score
Members Ride
1970 AMC javelin, S2 stagea
VY and VZ have had problems with the front springs rub on the corner of the strut spring seat, check for wear marks on the second to bottom coil on the inside edge.

fmlycar

6appeal
Reaction score
Members Ride
308rwkw 180sx
Might also pay to check the radius rod bushes and associated parts

Friend of mine had a clunking sound in his car and turned out to be the radius rod

JB33

Reaction score
may be worth looking at engine mounts if you have tried all else - known weak point in vt-vz's is sagging mounts - just had mine done again after only 50k km's - question are you happy with the nolathane suspension bushes - thinking of doing mine soon?

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Do you have wider-than-standard wheels?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
These noises can be VERY hard to find i wouldnt count anything out, I had what sounded like my rear axel was tramping at 2500rpm to 3000rpm with anymore that 1/2 throttle and only in seccond this was very hard to find, it turned out to be the rubber bush between the gear box output shaft and the drive shaft.

The point of my story is look at everything with open eyes.

vystocker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive 2002
VY Front End Clunking

For all you guys with clunking front ends on either vy/vz or perhaps vt/vx
I have something thats worth a try just figured it out with my vy.
My vy started clunking a couple of weeks ago and I did all the obvious things but by chance I was looking at the swaybar where it meets the strut tower and noticed one of the bushes was missing where it connects to the strut tower just under the spring with a stud that goes through a hole which is supposed to have a washer then a bush then it goes through a hole than another washer and another bush than another washer and then the nut of course.
without the bush the stud moves a little higher and makes the swaybar move and was hitting the bottom of the spring housing.
the replacement part required is called a drop link kit part number#92149170 which can be purchased from holden genuine parts for around $55 and while replacing this part i decided to look at the other side which was on its way aswell so i removed it and used the good bush from the left and greased it up a little and slapt it back together and its fine now.....
I think that this is a very obvious fault that I overlooked so I hope that it helps you like it helped me
I've attached a image that I found online and have circled the part that was creating my problem also take note that the example is not from my car and theres nothing wrong on the photo it merely shows you what im talking about and what it should look like.

Best of Luck

VYSTOCKER

Attachments

• drop-link.jpg
    drop-link.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 5,713