Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY - VS radiators

Hemiway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S1
Hey guys, just got to work and I have split my radiator in the VY wondering if anybody knows if a VS radiator will fit it.

Hemiway.

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Fairly sure the VS radiator is smaller, if you're after a replacement get one off ebay for about $100, I got one for $80 in october in 2011 and there hasn't been any problems at all.

EDIT: Yes, the VS radiator is smaller.

Greasy Hands

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
YV II Acclaim, non daily.
were there any warning signs of this catastrophe before it happened ?

was it the original radiator ?

Mine is original and I'm thinking of changing it before heading off over the nullabor.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
There are often no warning signs before you see the steam coming up over the bonnet.
I saw a comparison in a trade magazine once between genuine holden radiators and crappy aftermarket ones. After reading that, and seeing the core of the aftermarket one i put on my vs leak after about 2-3 years i'd keep the genuine one in there till it dies or fit a new good one, not a cheap one..... or you could always keep a cheap one in the boot as a spare!

Hemiway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S1
Thanks for that skappascrap, thought i would check as a guy at work said he had a newish VS one at home.
Got her home safe and sound (first cool night in weeks would have helped) I will pull it out tommorow and see if it possible to patch it and go from there.

Greasy hands, there was no warning just driving down the road and suddenly a lot of steam comming out from the drivers side of the bonnet about 100m from work, parked it and could see a tiny pin hole leak on the side seam/join,

Hemiway.

Greasy Hands

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
YV II Acclaim, non daily.
i see the genuine calsonic radiators on ebay for the vy v6 are 250 + postage. If it lasts 10 years like the original, thats pretty good value for money.

ARATIC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot House VY SS
i see the genuine calsonic radiators on ebay for the vy v6 are 250 + postage. If it lasts 10 years like the original, thats pretty good value for money.

I bought my genuine Calsonic radiator off the same bloke, was happy to pay a premium for genuine for the same reasons.

Do it once do it right.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
were there any warning signs of this catastrophe before it happened ?
I caught mine before it went because the overflow tank would run dry every couple of weeks. Wasn't a fast enough leak to leave a noticeable puddle after parking the car.

My dad on the otherhand (who doesn't check his fluids often), it was a case of one day it was fine, the next day it was pissing coolant all over the garage.