Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 12v Acc from Smnokers pack plug

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
Quick question, couldn't find the exact answer from a search.

I was to install 12v neons in the footwells and hook them to the LIGHT circuit, using the smokers pack plug, which cable is 12+v (light circuit) and which is negative?

Thanks

Stewlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV ute M6
Get the correct 3 pin plug from jaycar, black is negative, red (I believe is) positive, and yellow is switched lighting. So connect the LEDs positive to the yellow and negative to the black, this will switch them on with the headlights, I'd suggest throwing a switch in the positive line positioned somewhere out of site as I don't think it's legal to have them on as its a distraction or some bs.

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
Do you happen to have the 3pin plug? If so, could you please tell me what the wires are on the stock cable? As jaycar isn't close to me so I'll just tap the wires into the stock cables....

I also have a little control box which the LEDs go into and a remote that switches them on off, so that's no issue there :)

Thanks for the reply

Stewlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV ute M6
MY BAD, just checked my gauges and they pick up power off the RED cable. Use the plug hidden under the radio.

The colours at the cigarette light should be - use red as positive and black as negative. You can just chop the lighter plug under the radio if you want or follow it under the dash if you can. If your uncomfortable working with live power disconnect the negative battery, or if you can't be bothered just leave the lights off and don't cut both red and black together as you will short it and blow a 10A fuse.

Good luck!!!

Stewlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV ute M6
And make sure you tape up the yellow which is constant power from the battery

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
so is the bottom pin on the standard 3pin plug negative or not?

Stewlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV ute M6
I don't really know what you mean mate sorry, which ever is black is negative, pull back the sleaving If you have to

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
Ok, so the stock smokers pack plug is a 3pin, top two pins are Black/white stripe and Yellow, and the bottom pin is brown/white strip......so if I want to connect 12v red/black +/- wire to this, what goes where? I've tried a few combinations with no luck.

Stewlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV ute M6
Ah to be honest I just shoved the plug from my gauges into that I never pulled it out and looked at the colours. I would say the brown is from your headlight switch and black is the negative.

Positive LED - brown wire of lighter
Negative LED - black wire of lighter

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
Unfortunately that still didn't work :( Thanks for your help though mate.