Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 12v Acc from Smnokers pack plug

Stewlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV ute M6
Perhaps you have blown a fuse, there's no reason it shouldnt work, do you have a multimeter or can get your hands on one? (just checking but) how much of an idea do you have about electrical wiring? The basic stripping insulation and twisting copper together, making sure a positive and negative never touch to prevent dead shorts which will blow fuses

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Get a test light, chuck the clamp on a good earth and probe the 3 terminals till it lights up then you have your power source. Now clamp onto the power source and probe the remaining two terminals, when it lights up you have found your earth.

Stewlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV ute M6
I have no idea about that tester! Never seen or heard of it but I'm sure it would do the job. Yes 2 cables will be positive and the other that shows no voltage will be ground. 1 positive will be always on when the car is and the other on when the headlights come on. I would still check under the dash for the cigarette lighter circuit to see if the fuse is still good

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
Just checked the fuse, it's all good :)

I'm going to get a voltage tester today and will let you know.

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
Ok, so it appears that the yellow is positive, and so is the brown, but the brown is only positive when the headlights are on......

Now, to connect the LEDS to yellow/black, we'll see what happens.

Stewlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV ute M6
YESSSS FANTASTIC. If you connect it to yellow it will always be on when the car is, so if your happy to use the switch to turn them on and off whenever then go for that, or the brown is only when the headlights are on (which is probably better as you won't see the light in the day anyway, let us know how it turns out

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
YESSSS FANTASTIC. If you connect it to yellow it will always be on when the car is, so if your happy to use the switch to turn them on and off whenever then go for that, or the brown is only when the headlights are on (which is probably better as you won't see the light in the day anyway, let us know how it turns out

Turned out AMAZING! The unit I got is a 30cm flexible LED5050 strip, which goes into a little control box (with a remote) and then into a 12v source, now, both units are running off the same 12v source, and, to my surprise, one remote works for both units!! :) So now, all I do, is point the remote in the footwell and I can change to any colour of the rainbow, turn on/off, strobe (dangerous! haha)/ fade etc... :) Not bad for $10/unit!!

Just to clarify, if others are following this thread, the smokers accessory plug wires are as follows.
Yellow: 12v +ve, always on when you turn the key to ACC or ON
Brown: 12 +ve, only on when you switch your headlights on
Black: -ve/ground.

Stewlz, thanks again for all your help mate :) Really appreciated.

*I'll take a short video if I can tonight.