Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz 6 litre / tappet noise on a cold start

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have 2 cars VZ sv8 6 litre and VU ute 5.7 litre
Hi Guys
I'm new to this forum and would like to say hello to you all and have a question about my new VZ SV8 6 litre that I just picked up the other day and wondering can any one help or experiencing the same problem I am. On a cold start up I am getting tappet noise but after that its fine. My first thought was do an oil and filter change so I went straight to Auto Barn and grabbed a Ryco filter and 5 litres of Magnatec 10/40, the car was fine all day till this morning the first start up I had tappet noise once again for a few seconds and then it went away, is this normal I wouldn't think so these days any suggestion:unsure:

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
you can run an oil stabilizer. Moreys make one its about $18 for 1L of it, iv used it in all of my cars. Or you could try a 15/45 oil

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
The thing is the car has only done 59000 Km's , is this normal for a 6 litre engine :unsure:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I wouldn't think this is normal. The V6 wagon would start the tappet rattle on cold startup when the oil had reached about 5,000kms.

The V8 is a little less. I use engine flush on th eV8 as the pickup must be a bit blocked.

So no the engine should not make any noise on startup when cold. Maybe it's an oil pump problem. Do you have any warranty left?

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
The thing is the car has only done 59000 Km's , is this normal for a 6 litre engine :unsure:

sound's perfectly normal to me.

KiWi1

11.00@126 Miss dat ****
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dead 11sec VX SS, Defected VP Ute
Seems normal to me as well. There is a huge difference between piston slap noise, gudgeon pin noise etc. So describing a noise, can be hard to diagnose by Keyboard Mechanics on a forum, especially non LS1 owner drivers.

Does it use any oil? Is it under warranty?

Simon

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
It is under warranty and I'm 100% sure its tappet noise, Ive only had it for a few days so I couldn't tell you if it uses oil yet.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
has anyone heard of oil pressure?, if its a period of 1-2 secs on start-up the rattle is caused by the lash adjust not being correctly adjusted from the lack of oil pressure on start up,

early alloytecs can be prone to a timing chain tick until oil pressure has built up when the engine is hot about 1-2 seconds or three ticks,

the worst sounding engine ive every heard is a toyota 1gr-fe 4.0l v6 in current shape hilux and prados, they have chronic valve train noises when the engine is running

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
try using a different oil
give castrol edge 25/50 or 10/60 a go
this noise is pretty common with LSx motors 99% of the time it is caused but using the wrong oil
LSx motors a very sensitive to oil grade/brands
I have tried a far few different oils in my car some mad it really noisy like magnetec
castrol edge is the best oil I have found so far