Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 6L 6spd gearbox noises

Daza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
SLugg said:
PS mine idles at 750 in neutral or in gear

I was under the impression that they will idle at higher revs 1000rpm at a high road speed. If you slip it into neutral at 20+kmh does it still idle at 750rpm?
Cheers

SLugg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6.2 T6060 Sting Red Trutrac harrop 500hp
yeah VZgen4 im at about 13-14 as well on a country cruise on tuesday sitting on 120 in 6th with the cruise on it returned 10.2L/100k average , get some torqo oil into the gearbox asap mine has improved outasite also if you have trouble going 1st or reverse try 2nd or third first and see if that lines it up
(took the time to rev it a bit in the lower gears ..........)

VZGEN4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER
SLugg said:
yeah VZgen4 im at about 13-14 as well on a country cruise on tuesday sitting on 120 in 6th with the cruise on it returned 10.2L/100k average , get some torqo oil into the gearbox asap mine has improved outasite also if you have trouble going 1st or reverse try 2nd or third first and see if that lines it up
(took the time to rev it a bit in the lower gears ..........)

Did you ask the dealer to put the torqo oil in for you when you got it serviced? What is torqo oil?

SLugg

Reaction score
Members Ride
torqo is a synthetic oil I had my engine and gearbox changed over to it at the 3000k service and I had a purilator filter put on as well , do a search for it on google in australia you should be able to find a dealer near you.

steane

Reaction score
Website
www.carupdate.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Maloo 6spd
I know exactly the sort of noise you mean, its a gravelly sounding vibration that you get when lugging the car in most of the gears. I agree that it does sound like the box isnt lubricating well at low rpm and loading it up at the same time could be the cause of the noise.
I personally am not going to worry about it.
I've come out of an S ute with the Alloytec and the 6.0ltr is like a wet dream and not a whole lot more thirsty around town either.

SLugg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Daza said:
I was under the impression that they will idle at higher revs 1000rpm at a high road speed. If you slip it into neutral at 20+kmh does it still idle at 750rpm?
Cheers

yeah it does idle , but at about 650-700 while coasting in neutral

havoc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 SS Ute
VZGEN4 said:
Thanks for the info guys.

I'll add a little more to my concerns... today after work I jumped into the beast and try to put into 1st and I couldn't! Had a few goes at it then had to roll it forward to get it in... Got home... backed it into the shed went to put into 1st and no go! couldn't even get in second rolled it forward again about 1ft... I'm assuming this happened because I was reversing?

i have the same problem with my ss thunder 6 speed, when i stop at lights in neutral sometimes i cant select 1st gear.

BLACKVZSV8

300 rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 M6
It is common for the 6 spds to jam up on occasion like at traffic lights.

Just give the clutch a couple of pumps and try again.

C

crewiess

BLACKVZSV8 said:
It is common for the 6 spds to jam up on occasion like at traffic lights.

Just give the clutch a couple of pumps and try again.

I have had probs getting 1st in the crewman. Was wondering if the problem goes away with a ripshift???

SLugg

Reaction score
Members Ride
good question may have to look at a rip myself ..