Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 6L top radiator hose rub on PS pulley

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
As I'm sure a few of you know the top radiator hose on a 6 litre VZ is prone to rubbing on the PS pulley and thus being torn to pieces. I've gone through 3 in the last 6 months....

Anyone know if there is a work around for this? I'm thinking of trimming the hose a little bit or rigging something up with zip ties to keep it out of the way.

On the same note.... Red or green coolant? I've just been told it should have red in it but ever since I have owned it there has been green in it (2years) Anyone know the truth before I go pouring a bunch of green **** in the radiator?

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
I think you will find depending on the make of the hose itself, they vary in length from the bend to the end of the hose. I,m currently running GATES hoses and I have a good clearance, but I agree they do run pretty close and the thought has often gone thru my mind in regards to the clearance.
I honestly cant see any problem by neatly trimming a small amount off the end of the hose to increase the clearance aspects ( and piece of mind )especially if there is a chance of rubbing, better off doing it in the comfort of your driveway instead of being stranded out in the middle of nowhere.:blah blah:
As for coolant,RED coolant mate, Alloy radiator.

Nulon Red Long Life Coolant is the preferred coolant to use in cooling systems that are fitted with aluminium radiators. It is a genuine 100% OAT based, long life coolant.

Last edited:

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
It looks like I may have ran the hose the wrong way... damn I'm smart. I played around with it in my driveway earlier and found that if I reversed the hose there seemed to be more clearance from the pulley. I replace the radiator not long ago and didn't really pay attention when installing the hose, it just seemed to fit better the way I had it. Anyway I figure that if it goes on with more clearance this way with no kinkage it should be ok.

As for the colour of the coolant, why would it have green coolant in it at all? As far as I could tell it was serviced professionally all its life before I bought it. Strange. Looks like I'll be flushing the ####ing thing out after work tomorrow.

While I'm at it, why doesn't my radiator suck coolant back in from the overflow tank? I'm thinking bad cap but I'm not sure

FFS this car only has 110k on it my missus Honda with 320k costs me less

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
It looks like I may have ran the hose the wrong way... damn I'm smart. I played around with it in my driveway earlier and found that if I reversed the hose there seemed to be more clearance from the pulley. I replace the radiator not long ago and didn't really pay attention when installing the hose, it just seemed to fit better the way I had it. Anyway I figure that if it goes on with more clearance this way with no kinkage it should be ok.

As for the colour of the coolant, why would it have green coolant in it at all? As far as I could tell it was serviced professionally all its life before I bought it. Strange. Looks like I'll be flushing the ####ing thing out after work tomorrow.

While I'm at it, why doesn't my radiator suck coolant back in from the overflow tank? I'm thinking bad cap but I'm not sure

try the search button ... or sell the car cheap,, as it has destroyed the motor using the wrong colour:lock::lock::lock::lock:

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
try the search button ... or sell the car cheap,, as it has destroyed the motor using the wrong colour:lock::lock::lock::lock:

loopie, sorry.... But the colour of the coolant should not matter.... so long as it meets and/or exceeds the manufactures specifications for the required cooling system you have --> Dex-Cool conforming to GM6277M specification.

However... most "Mechanics" are there to make a profit and so cheap nasty is they way to go and care/fcuks given = zero.... and why good mechanics/shops are hard to find.

General Motors started using Hybrid Organic 96% Antifreeze Anti-boil in the VT. This coolant met the performance requirements of the AS/NZ 2108.1997 (Type A) engine coolant specification. And in 2004 their coolant was further tested to the latest Australian Standards AS2108.2004. The formulation remained basically the same for both standards and is used in all Third Generation Commodores.(VE/VF)

I personally have ONLY ever used Red Long Life Concentrated Coolant - Nulon Australia >$30 & Holden supplied coolant. >$40

bozodos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 MY06
Yeah I was gonna say, I replaced the radiator in my VZ not long ago (and the hoses) and didn't have any clearance issues at all with them. I've used 50/50 ACDelco genuine coolant ever since I had a mystery corrosion issue in the steam pipe at the top of the heads, which was an annoying, and expensive part to replace.

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
Yeah I was gonna say, I replaced the radiator in my VZ not long ago (and the hoses) and didn't have any clearance issues at all with them. I've used 50/50 ACDelco genuine coolant ever since I had a mystery corrosion issue in the steam pipe at the top of the heads, which was an annoying, and expensive part to replace.

I know colour don't mean ****.. ITS type A or type B, but according too some keyboard warriors it does,,hence why I said sell the car lol

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
Ok so it looks like the green **** is coming out. Now that i think about it there was a bit of white scaly **** under the hose on the thermo housing...

Anyway being an alloy engine am i right to pull the thermostat out and give it a blast with the garden hose? I believe you don't want green and red coolant mixing so I want to get it all out and that's the only way I know how.

Cheers for the help by the way

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
organic coolant will leave a white residue when it leech's out, don't mix types, just get the right stuff, it can be green, red, blue and purple (yes the last 2 do exist, just see Detroit or Cummins etc) long life coolant

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
organic coolant will leave a white residue when it leech's out, don't mix types, just get the right stuff, it can be green, red, blue and purple (yes the last 2 do exist, just see Detroit or Cummins etc) long life coolant

Thanks mate. In the process of flushing the green out now with the trusty garden hose trick. Got a bottle of Nulon long life red and some demineralised water waiting