Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ A/C Compressor

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ, LN167 Turbo Hilux, VSII Ute
Is the sound a high pitched noise, or more like a 'roaring' type sound? My 2005 wagon makes a higher pitched roaring sound when accelerating with the A/C compressor under a load, which apparently is normal.

Definately NOT normal...

adsvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlia
Sounds like the compressor clutch is failing. Buying a second hand compressor is very risky. I would never use one unless its absolutely necessary. $1000 is pretty fair price to replace a compressor.
Bit more work involved than most people realize. The tech has to vac down the system, remove parts, replace parts (usually including a new Drier and TX valve), Flush the system of contaminants, check for leaks, fill with gas, check for leaks again and make sure everything is operating at correct temperatures.
If you bolt that compressor on yourself you will have no warranty. Also it may be cheaper to buy a compressor off ebay but dont expect it to last longer than a year or two. A/c compressors are one of the things you should always try to fit a genuine one if possible and any reputable tech wont want to fit your ebay compressor cause they cant guarantee their work if they dont trust the parts they are using.

My work specializes in Automotive Airconditioning and Electrics and Im also a qualified Aircon tech

^^ sounds like your auto electrician trying to get some business

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ, LN167 Turbo Hilux, VSII Ute
^^ sounds like your auto electrician trying to get some business

Haha I wont get any business from anyone on this site. Im in Darwin and not many JC members are from Darwin, didnt mention where i work either lol. Im only working in parts at the moment, not actually installing them. Just speaking from past experience. Where I did my training we always used quality genuine parts and almost never had any warranty or failure issues but working in parts ive met some dodgy techs and they are always having work come back and trying to claim warranty(and failing) because they have fitted cheap parts, not flushed the system properly, didnt fit a new drier with a compressor etc.

Atleast once a week we have a customer ask for prices on compressors and tell us they can get them for 1/4 of the price. We have stopped trying to convince them we just say no worries buy your cheap one. 9 times out of 10 they come back in a couple weeks later and buy the good ones cause their cheap ones didnt work out. Always a good laugh for us.

Last edited:

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
Definately NOT normal...

Interesting. Mine definitely makes the 'roaring' type sound, in particular when the aircon is first switched on and the engine is revving - I suppose the sound could be better described as a lower pitched 'howling' type sound. Has done this since I got my wagon four years ago, and hasn't changed at all in that time. Granted though, a high pitched squeal or noise does not sound normal.

1siknip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ HSV R8
+1 replace a/c compressor BRAND NEW, dont buy from wreckers

gabro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec
Hey

here is my recent experience with my air con and auto electricians in Sydney's west
I accidently broke my ac clutch wire clean off the coil.
First auto elec quoted $600 for degas, compressor removal, new coil assy, fit coil, re install compressor and regas
Second auto quoted $650 same process as above.
Third auto elec $300 if I supply the coil.
Fourth auto elec $350 if I supply the coil because his supplier no longer exists
I purchased a second hand clutch /compressor for $110
Rang third auto who now is quoting $350
Rang fourth auto elec and is now quoting $105 as replacing the coil does not require removing the compressor and therefore regassing (something I suspected a experienced ac guy could do easily)
My business went to the fourth auto elec
After removing the coil I get a call saying there is leaking gas from the front of the compressor.
I explain that before the coil contacts were broken the ac was working just fine and the oil may be power steering fluid
He insists it is leaking gas
I therefore accuse him of damaging my compressor
he insists he did not " I have changed many ac coil /compressor, I know what I am doing etc etc."
He quotes $360 for replacing the leaking compressor with the secondhand unit and see how it goes.
No I says just put it together and see how it goes.
Next call " Replaced the clutch etc and ac does not work probably due to low pressure
Being angry type of character I say well your the expert what is it
He says Well the clutch works that is what you paid for.
Pick up car and he asked for $120
I gave him $105
Confirmed the ac is not working still angry
Next day after anger subsided start replaying events and come to the conclusion the ac clutch fuse probably blew when wire broke
Replaced fuse and ac is working
Final conclusion Do not trust Auto electricains

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Sounds like the compressor clutch is failing. Buying a second hand compressor is very risky. I would never use one unless its absolutely necessary. $1000 is pretty fair price to replace a compressor.
Bit more work involved than most people realize. The tech has to vac down the system, remove parts, replace parts (usually including a new Drier and TX valve), Flush the system of contaminants, check for leaks, fill with gas, check for leaks again and make sure everything is operating at correct temperatures.
If you bolt that compressor on yourself you will have no warranty. Also it may be cheaper to buy a compressor off ebay but dont expect it to last longer than a year or two. A/c compressors are one of the things you should always try to fit a genuine one if possible and any reputable tech wont want to fit your ebay compressor cause they cant guarantee their work if they dont trust the parts they are using.

My work specializes in Automotive Airconditioning and Electrics and Im also a qualified Aircon tech

I would have to agree with what jwaye2 said. A few years ago the compressor went on my VY so badly that I had to stop using the AC otherwise it would have sprayed iron filings. My mechanic arranged for a replacement and it cost in the order of $1,000 all up. One of the reasons being that there is a fair bit of work involved. Anyway the compressor worked and I didn't have any more problems with it. Lasted three years until someone made a right turn in front of me and wrote off the car.