Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Antenna Mast Replacement

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
Hey all i am going to replace my bent antenna today with the aerpro mast which is a direct copy of the priginal, im just wondering if anyone has changed the antenna and whether its hard and/or what are the steps to it, thanks. The reason im replacing it is because when the antenna gets as high as it can the motor keeps trying to push it up and makes a horrible rattling noise and i feel like its ####ing the motor, Thanks again

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
i tried replaceing mine in my vx 2 years ago, it only seem to get half way up, so i placed it with a second hand genuine one and it now sounds like that as well. it still works so it doesnt bother me,

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
mine is bent, it doesnt go all the way down or all the way up, its just the mast thats bent so im hoping when i replace that itll work properly

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
Hope it's not against the rules to post links to outside threads but saw this DIY guide. Just paste the links into your browser to see the images.

Most auto spares carry replacement masts for $35 if your electric motor is good. Just make sure to specify if it's replacing a genuine or aftermarket mast.

Tutorial - Replacing Electric Antenna Mast - Mobile Electronics Australia

For me, I was too lazy & about to leave on a trip to Brisbane the next day, so paid the guy at Holden $106 to replace it for me.

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Have you considered using something similar to the VE, an antenna (or even just a stubble) on the top of the rear windscreen? Let's face it, the antennas will keep malfunctioning over and over again. But with just a fixed antenna on the back, no moving parts, it will last.

It's just a thought. Anybody got any idea of its possible to do this, and how much would it cost, wiring and all? If its not much more than fixing a malfunctioning antenna mast, then its probably a good idea to go for it. Never mind filling up the area of the mast antenna... why don't people just leave it as it is? With the surround, antenna inside and all? Better than forking out a huge amount to get a tiny patch on the car filled up.

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
I could have DIY repaired mine for $35 but I just didn't have the time due to my trip the following day.

Given that I've had my VZ Calais for 7yrs & this is the 1st time it failed (due my stupidity hooking it up on the auto roller door), then from a cost/benefit perspective retrofitting a fixed antennae wouldn't be worth it for me.

Might be a good idea for those that are going through them on a regular basis though - or if the actual motor had dirked itself.

CV60VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I have pulled mine out before from my VT fairly simple its all just behind the wheel guard.

Unfortunately will have to do it again thoe as some little #### last night snapped mine while it was parked out the front of my sisters, I have A fair Idea of who it was so Ill be making him pay the $35 for a new one
I was well pissed off.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
@ Trent L, yeah thats the tutorial i used haha i couldnt find it on here so i googled it

@the stig, i considered doing that but i wouldnt know how much it would cost plus im such a loser id wanna remove the hold one and get it all patched up haha would look good though,

@wootown, yeah i had a couple hiccups but in the end it was fairly simple to get in behind the wheel guard, im gunna have to get into there again though cos of my own stupidity just reading the back of the packet and thinking it pulled out i put a few marks in the plastic bezel so i gotta buy a new one off ebay and replace it haha owell lesson learnt, research before jumping into something im not sure about