Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Crewman Project

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi All,

Son number 2 happened upon a new project for us to undertake next, A VZ crewman. It is a v6 auto that has been hit in the bum. We have a 6 litre in the wings for a powerplant but in the short term it will remain a 6 and replace one of our Hiluxes that has a sick box. A tub isn't all that useful for us as builders/spakies. Don't even mention that our other project has a tub - that one is just for fast quotes.

So has anyone done a tasteful/useful tray cinversion and have some wisdom to share with us crewman conversion virgins?

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Easy enough. Behind the right wheel well, remove the plastic and you’ll see a harness plug. Unplug it. Unplug the fuel tank earth strap. (I feel better to make another.)

Have a squizz in my cross 8 thread for the pictures of the fuel filler disassembled.

There are then bolts to undo each side to free the tub.

This video will be helpful

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
As for the front, it’s the same as what you’ve just done.
To run the 6ltr, there are some mods to the cam sprocket that need doing and I think knock sensor loom.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Thanks for the guide on removing the tub. Will save us some time. The 6 litre we have is out of a VE and we believe that there may be a difference in the relucotr wheels. We spoke wiht LSXtreme about an ECM and they can change the pulse width to match whatever reluctor is on the motor we put in. As per our other VZ ute project the security on the ECM is disabled so it is a plug and play with the BCM. We have discussed the idea of running a cable throttle system using a VY pedal box - but are undecided. Given we will need a newloom anyway hooking up the drive by wire shouldn't be too hard (shuddered as I typed that).

Our main concern is the issues we had with the drive by wire system for the LS1 ute; however, the availability of pedals for VE is much greater and I believe there is cross compatability with the V6 pedal.

Cab is being painted in the next couple of weeks and then we should have it in the shed and be able to start detailed planning.

We are thinking about a tray top so we can pick up the lift of canopy from the Hilux and deposit it on the Crewman fir work duties.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
So the project made it home last night. A bit more work than expected - needs a good clean, a respray and a new diff as well as the tub replaced. Son is taking the opposite approach to me with this one - shiny bits first and go fast bits at the end. Sort of needs to do it this way as he wants to pull down the box in his Hilux. He needs this one on the road so he can cart the rug rats and tools around. Easy to throw some paint, a tray and diff in it and then work the motor in once the Hilux is back on duty.

So this is the damage to the rear - we will be pulling the tub off and loading it in the truck with the excavator for disposal at the local tip for recycling.
201209  Crewman Rear.jpg

Check out the shoo roo bonnet ornaments - got to love country. We will be replacing the passenger door and right guard with the ones off our old VY and this one is getting a huge five poster. Not sure that a crewman really fits the B&S theme - but hey.

201209 Crewman front.jpg

It will be prepped for paint over Christmas and I have been advised that it will be done in a colour changing purple. I think this one will be known as Mr Walker.

At least we have had some practive on the headlight refurb and half a can of uv clear left over from the last job!

nitemares

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ White Crewman ute.
One thing......think about dropping a new fuel pump into the tank while the tub if off. Otherwise, it is a bloody four person lift to get the tub/tray up and off down the track. The tank is some sort of weird split design that goes up and over a body rail....and guess where they put the fuel pump with no removable panels in the bottom of the tub.

I don't know about the V8 models but my six cylinder only has about 68 litre tank.....the V6 gets about 14 litres per 100km with a mix of town and country driving. Best I have ever got is about 10 litres per 100 km on a trip. Hence, mine has an LPG conversion.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Nitemares

We took the tub off the other day with two of us. Didn't have to remove the wheels - just deflated them enough to get access to the side bolts with a ratle gun and a uni joint. The rest came out easily. The amount of crud that was on top of the tank was amazing. Must have lived under a pine tree at some time - pine needles rotted on top of pine needles. The ute is a runner and was being used as a daily driver until son 2 purchased it after the owner was rear ended. It was still being used up until the rego ran out - if you lok at the photo of the rear end he tek screwed a trailer light to the tailgate to replace the right hand tail light. It is currently at his mates shed getting prepped for paint.

This is a V6 at the moment so will have the same sized tank. We will be fabricating a tray for him and will either make the tank accessible or the tray easily removable to cater for the inevitable fuel pump failure.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
One thing......think about dropping a new fuel pump into the tank while the tub if off. Otherwise, it is a bloody four person lift to get the tub/tray up and off down the track. The tank is some sort of weird split design that goes up and over a body rail....and guess where they put the fuel pump with no removable panels in the bottom of the tub.

I don't know about the V8 models but my six cylinder only has about 68 litre tank.....the V6 gets about 14 litres per 100km with a mix of town and country driving. Best I have ever got is about 10 litres per 100 km on a trip. Hence, mine has an LPG conversion.
To do the fuel pump, the tub only has to be unbolted and slid back partly. It’s a one man job. It doesn’t need to come off.