Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Diff Clunk, advice needed please

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Diff oil grade can effect it definately........ Depends really how bad the clunk is, I know when I changed my diff oil on my original vz diff to the holden manuals recommended it seemed worse........... anyways I changed it to thicker stuff and it was fine......... i changed my diff to a 3.45 vt lsd diff and still use the thicker stuff with an additive and it's pretty much fine.

If it clunks only on hot days thats probably nothing really to do with the diff, more to do with the car being hot (adjusting the fueling etc)........ from my experience anyway.

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
hey mate, I just replaced my VY diff, doing the exact same thing, under light accelearation when coasting or when decelerating. Is is backlash and is from wear of the crown and pinion in the diff.
i tried replacing the oil and even added the $65 LSD additive from holden first before replacing it. only way to fix is to replace crown and pinion.

I found a VZ SS diff on ebay for $400. and had it fitted for $260. V8 and V6 diffs are 100% interchangeable. without any modification. I even managed to find one with a similar ratio.

TheImmortal1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 executive 3.6l
Hey guys,
I have a VZ executive v6 LSD and I have a clunk noise and I think it is my diff so I changed the oil with penrite almost $70 anti shudder diff oil to try and fix it but only stopped it for a week

It has to be driven for at least half an hour before it clunks and only does it at very low speeds and when it stops it clunks but I accelerate and it goes away,
I drove it for 2 hours one time and then the clunk was like a massive popping sound that I swear could be heard from a kilometre away
It also sounded like a whining/stretching sound
It is worse in hot weather

Any chances of it being fixed or is it time for a whole new diff??
Or is it something else??
A
Also is it okay to drive it for long periods ( highway driving) or am I going to get stuck somewhere?

Thanks guys

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Mine clunks when changing from 2nd to 3rd as well. However it's only early on when I start driving and seems to go away when I drive for longer. I tried getting the oil changed but the problem didn't go away.