Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ drivers door doesnt always close the first time

Tikkat3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ Wagon
Hi All,

I have had my VZ a couple of weeks now and have noticed the drivers door doesnt always close properly the first time and needs some more force than usual to get it to shut.

It appears the top of the door is coming in contact with the body before the rest of the door does.

Has anyone else experienced this with their VZ?

Cheers,

TikkaT3.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Had the same problem with an XD Falcon Cab years ago, took it to a panel beater who said no problem, we will just pull the top of the door out a couple of mm, only problem he forgot to wind down the window with the result being broken glass, so have a look where the top of the door first comes in contact with the rubber, wind the window down and give the top of the door frame a bash with your open hand. If you have a soft hand place a rolled up rag against the door and only hit it hard enough to move it 1 or 2mm, if it needs more hit it again.

Good Luck

It will only need a small amount to clear.

Tikkat3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ Wagon
It appears the windows is going up too far causing the top of the window frame to bend over slightly.
If i dont put the window all the way up the door closes find but when its all the way up then i have to slam it.

Anyone know if there are any adjustments on the window regulator to stop the window going up too far?

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
As far as the window regulator is concerned, it's just a mechanical cog with stops at each end, there's no means of adjustment. In my VT, the door sagged down slowly over time, I put this down the hinges getting old.

Tikkat3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ Wagon
It is possible the timing of it all is not right as the other doors don't have the same issue. I pulled the door trim off and did notice the window reg has been replaced before so it could be a faulty one.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
I'd say more likely that it was replaced with an aftermarket one that doesn't fit very well. They have a tendancy to not only drop to far, but go up to high, relying on the window frame to stop the window rather than a metal stop inside the regulator. Can you take a photo of it mate? Should be able to tell fairly quickly if it is aftermarket. Also, I assume it's a power window?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Is the window going up too far?? or is the glass catching the top rubber and pushing it up?? which in turn is causing the top rubber, not the frame, to touch the surround first, making it hard to shut.
Check to see if the rubber at the top is rising when the window reaches the top, and if so, see if you can alleviate that problem maybe with a bit of silicone spray, or even a reposition of the rubber.

Tikkat3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ Wagon
I'd say more likely that it was replaced with an aftermarket one that doesn't fit very well. They have a tendancy to not only drop to far, but go up to high, relying on the window frame to stop the window rather than a metal stop inside the regulator. Can you take a photo of it mate? Should be able to tell fairly quickly if it is aftermarket. Also, I assume it's a power window?

It is a power window.

When I have the door trim off I will try and get some pics. All I could see was the black regulator.

I did peel back the rubber seal at the top of the door and the glass was higher than the metal frame of the door by about 4mm where as the passenger side glass was level with the door frame.

Tikkat3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ Wagon
Is the window going up too far?? or is the glass catching the top rubber and pushing it up?? which in turn is causing the top rubber, not the frame, to touch the surround first, making it hard to shut.
Check to see if the rubber at the top is rising when the window reaches the top, and if so, see if you can alleviate that problem maybe with a bit of silicone spray, or even a reposition of the rubber.

The glass is pushing the rubber up causing the rubber to hit first and cause an issue.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
It is a power window.

When I have the door trim off I will try and get some pics. All I could see was the black regulator.

I did peel back the rubber seal at the top of the door and the glass was higher than the metal frame of the door by about 4mm where as the passenger side glass was level with the door frame.

Try and get those pics mate, hopefully we'll be able to see if it's original or not. That's still my best bet, especially since the passengers is apparently ok.