Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ engine making rattle noises

chriso-k

Motor Mechanic, SYDNEY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Ha, that's the chance they took when the previous owner traded it in with them I guess. I had a young mechanic friend have a listen and he said oil pressure problems probably due to sludge also. He works at the place that will be looking at it on Tuesday. It's a real shame when people don't take care of these nice cars! Glad I got the 3 yr extended warranty with it. Sad for the car though if the cost of repair is too high, they might turn it into spare parts :unsure:
Unlikely, this type of repair will not outstrip the value of the car. Unless it's a wreck

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
I hope that your warranty will be honored, usually the "extended warranty" is not worth the paper it is written on. good luck and let us know the results.

You are 100% correct, those warranties are rubbish. I normally decline them. If they include it as a 'value added' item, I ask for that money off or an extra 6 months rego. I normally get stuck into it when it's still under stat - take it to a good mechanic and give that list to the dealer.

One of these days, dealers will get the message that it doesn't pay to sell a car with problems. Not sure what the warranty is like in other states, but the OP is in Barky, Qld and he is almost certainly covered provided he doesn't mess around. It's a 2014 - so the build date will determine if it is a Class A or B statutory warranty.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ sv6
Yep, I'm definitely covered under the statutory warranty, I've only had the car since Thursday evening. They've been good over the phone so far. I have been told that they will cover the cost of repair or replace the car, whichever is required. The car is immaculate otherwise, would be sad to lose it if not repairable. Hopefully it will all get sorted. I shall let you all know what the results are :)

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Yep, I'm definitely covered under the statutory warranty, I've only had the car since Thursday evening. They've been good over the phone so far. I have been told that they will cover the cost of repair or replace the car, whichever is required. The car is immaculate otherwise, would be sad to lose it if not repairable. Hopefully it will all get sorted. I shall let you all know what the results are :)

Well you know in all likelihood, it's probably going to be just fine. They might even be able to fix it with a few engine flushes, sump off clean the pickup or whatever the others suggested. Then a few oil / filter changes (close together) and you should be all set. What's the build date?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I agree with Silver Bird , a few quick flushes and oil changes , and she'll be as right as rain , when it is sorted , I suggest you change oil and filter every 7000KM , the service intervals of 15000KM that Holden specify , are frankly ####ing ridiculous .

D

Don123

Yes, at least every 7000ks, the book says 7500 ks. I do mine every 5000ks.
I agree with Silver Bird , a few quick flushes and oil changes , and she'll be as right as rain , when it is sorted , I suggest you change oil and filter every 7000KM , the service intervals of 15000KM that Holden specify , are frankly ####ing ridiculous .

VZSSCHASE

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6l
rattling noise from under hood I had that to found out it was the cat converters stuffed inside check them.

deadstato

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive wagon
yes it will be sludge i would ask for a new motor or new car there is no quick fix