Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz ls1 using a vy alternator

gto 455

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz crewman
Hi guys,I've bought a genuine vx,vy alternator for my vz ls1,I've since realised the wiring plug is different,I bought a vy plug and and installed it red to red etc but after taking it for a drive I'm not getting a charge? Can anyone help me with any advice on whether I've done something wrong or should I look elsewhere for the solution?
l should add prior to swapping alternators I was losing battery charge on the home in the dark,then it came good so I assumed it needed an alternator without checking whether the old alternator was good or not.
Any help is much appreciated.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You need a different alternator. The VZ charges differently to the VY.

From memory, the VZ has a voltage regulator in it but charge is controlled by the ECM. The VY works differently.

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but you have the wrong alternator.

I went through a huge disagreement with someone selling an alternator identical to what you have described, for my VZ LS1. They have continued to sell them as suitable and they are not.

The plugs are different on the harness for a good reason. It’s because they work differently, and with different plugs, can not be confused.

The alternator you need will have the same plug used on V6 models (for reference).