Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS2] Vz ls2 ute first mods???

Cambo_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6.0l SS Ute
Hey guys bought my ute about 8 months ago looking at getting some work done. First thing would be exhaust and extractors, who would you recommend in sydney?
After that I am stumped? I am coming from a rotary back ground and would like to make the ute a little bit quicker. Only aiming for around 300rwkw.

Any help would be much appreciated

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
You're probably going to get 260-280rwkw with 4into1 extractors, high flow cats, 2.5" twin exhaust and a good OTR (i suggest Duspeed). You could go a cam if you want more power than that, i went a 216/232 isky cam and made 325rwkw.

By the way, unless your ute is a HSV its going to have an L76 or an L98 6L in it, not an LS2.

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
First mod I would have done is drop and replace every fluid in your car, sparkers and leads, and airfilter.... Yeah I know its not a mod mod, but... Your car will be alot smoother and you will have the peace of mind knowing when it was all actually done... But considering you have had it for 8 months ou may have already changed all that...

Umm.... Considering how your wallet is going after the exhuast, because this should always be your first mod because you bought a V8 you want it to sound like one too :D An OTR is always a great thing to next.. Custom tune if you like... If you still got $ go cam an tune.. Or if you got the $ from the start most good workshops do a exhuast and cam upgrade in one hit.. Which is a rather awesome first mod..

Considering your from rotary background, you may or may not be liking the big V8, I know a few mates who have done the same, an say they arent a huge fan of it till it gets past like 80kmph, coz big V8s just keep pulling into what seems like infinity.. Possibly a set of diff gears might make you happy...??

They will ofcourse be cheaper then a cam' upgrade however will also effect your fuel a little as ofcourse your cruising RPM will be higher..

If its an auto box ur running a rather good set up is either 3.7 (if you plan on doing hwy driving this isnt really that bad) and 3.9 if you don't really give a hoot about cruise RPM on hwy.

If manual, 3.9's is good then 4.11's if your thinkin of dedicating it to the strip a few times...

But thats just a thought.. It will accelerate a LOT more off the line with a change in diff gears which is what most ppl from rotary and importers like..

Anyway, thats just my two bobs... Sorry if you hate it.. Some ppl wont like it.. But ohwell..

Cambo_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6.0l SS Ute
Thanks for the response guys. Im happy with the v8 power curve it's a bit different to my rotor but it's still got plenty of punch.

Who would be the best place to get my exhaust and tune from, I might also get the otrcai intake that you speak of. But for now I don't think I'll put a cam in.

Which motor would it be. It's a vz series 2 ss ute. It's ls2 stickered that's why I assumed it was, as I said I'm coming from rotors. Thanks for your help guys.

Cheers

Cam

Cambo_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6.0l SS Ute
A bit off topic here but what are the differences, is it just the dod technology in one and not the other or are there major differences. And you are correct it is stamped l76 on the Vin plate.

I don't think I would have the cash for the whole system straight up as compared to my full $400 3 inch eBay exhaust which is gold on my rotor, they are quite pricey just for a cat back system.

Where did you order your system from?

Cheers

Cam

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
L76 - 6L with DoD hardware installed, but disabled.
L98 - 6L with DoD hardware removed, better flowing heads than LS2.

LS2 - HSV 6L with higher compression
I you're handy with tools and DIY'ing I suggest you find a guy on here called not_an_abba_fan. He'll sell you a full exhaust quite cheap delivered to your door, and typically he deals in manta exhausts which I hold in a high respect.

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
Yeah I am rolling with a manta exhaust from not_an_abba_fan.... He sure does some awesome stuff, and alot cheaper then anywhere else I have seen thats for sure... I would recommend him and also Manta exhaust, they do some great stuff, and trust me... It sounds awesome...