Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ O2 Sensor Issue

alsweilerm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon
Hi All - I've done loads of searching, but not found anything about my particular case, so I'm hoping someone can help...

New Zealand, Dec 04 built VZ 3.6L Engine=LE0.

The problem: Check Powertrain
Initial diagnosis from Holden: read codes, reporting 2 codes relating to O2 sensor, bank 2, sensor 1. Carried out tests found faulty sensor. Fitted new sensor, cleared codes, road tested, all OK now.

Collected, PAID, drove it home, and then the Check PowerTrain error came on again! Back to Holden, they read the codes and same error as last time - Bank 2 Sensor 1. I asked if they changed the right sensor, etc, they say yes. Holden do some more research and then get back to me that the ECM needs replacing for $1500 + $300 (NZD) to program it.

The best explanation I could get out of them was that the input from the O2 sensor had probably burnt out on the ECM, or something along those lines. I chose not to go ahead with the work and the car has continued to drive OK, with fuel consumption not shooting through the roof or anything. But, its time to upgrade and I know any prospective buyers will be put off by the error...

I've done some trouble shooting of my own and found that the cables from the O2 sensor connector through the loom back to the ECM plug are all conducting OK (bummer, was hoping this might be the issue...)

My question is - does it sound reasonable that the ECM is the problem, or could it be caused by something else? A fuse? Sparkplugs? (car at 150,000 and I don't think they have been changed.)

And just to confirm, bank 2 is definitely on the passenger side (of right hand drive car)?

BTW - this car has just one O2 sensor on each bank - I think I heard this might be NZ specific?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, suggestions on this!

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
spark plugs shouldve been changed @ 120k and pretty sure they wouldn't have caused a powertrain error.