Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz on FIRE!

ohmygodmyvz....

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
i went out and bought a vz executive sedan alloy tec motor in October last year, 110,000 on the clock
to keep my extended warranty current i took it in for it's 120,000 service on saturday.
when i got it home, five minutes after i parked it we heard a huge bang from outside and the sound of escaping gas
MY VZ WAS ON FIRE!!!
everything in the engine bay on the left hand side is completely melted.
i'm guessing that the only thing that put it out was the gas escaping from the air conditioning, which was the bang we heard.
can anyone think of what would cause this to happen??? i've talked to a heap of mec's about it and all say they've seen anything like it before.

i've posted photo's further down this page \/ \/ \/

Last edited:

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
spontaneous combustion! man that is weird. never heard of it either.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Possibly a fuel leak + hot exhaust manifold? Did you notice any petrol smells before it blew?

It's awfully coincidental that you just had it serviced and it exploded right after... I'd be putting a lot of pressure on the service department to see exactly what they did to your car!

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Possibly a fuel leak + hot exhaust manifold? Did you notice any petrol smells before it blew?

It's awfully coincidental that you just had it serviced and it exploded right after... I'd be putting a lot of pressure on the service department to see exactly what they did to your car!

+1.

That wouldn't be a good reputation builder if it got out!

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
ah yeh sounds like someone cocked up, only issue is how?

What coul they possibly touch during a 120 000 service that would involve gas escaping?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Oil spill from the oil change I'd say, unusual for it to burn anything? must have been alot of oil!

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Oil spill from the oil change I'd say, unusual for it to burn anything? must have been alot of oil!

Seriously? Can't say I've ever heard of engine oil causing an explosion? I've had plenty of oil on manifolds in my time and you get a bit of smoke, but not even a flame.

You only need a pinhole in the fuel lines for them to spray everywhere, they're under pressure. Plus the are on the left-hand side of the engine.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The aircon exploded ^ nothing else :)

It had to be on fire when it was parked, a fuel leak wont catch on fire when it's not running

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
P.S where's the oil filter on those things? go and check if it's loose, I wont be suprised if that's what happened and that it's right near one of the headers