Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ ss 5.7 ticking guessing lifters?

2_stroke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Got a vz SS 5.7 making a ticking noise looks like a lifter is getting stuck and comes and goes. It's done 220k and It looks like it going to be my first time taking the heads off an engine besides a dirt bike lol. If i replace the cam can i go a bit off stock without getting a tune done, i herd the ecu can learn to some degree. Im thinking new push rods, lifters and trays, rocker upgrade for safety and if the cams being dinged up its gotta be done so might as well do cam pump and timing chain in that case. I will take the valve covers off tomorrow for a look at rod and rockers first but from what i understand and have herd its the lifters or lifter failing. Any advise would be great i've being youtubing and reading as much as i can.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Check the rockers first before you go pulling everything apart.

2_stroke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Put some 15-50 in and a new filter has fixed well resolved for the time being. 100% on lifters or lifter failing to drop though will buy me some time i guess as its my daily and only ride atm. Will do trunnion upgrade asap as the engine is at 220k and have already danced with the devil.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Add some nulon lifter free to your oil it’s really good stuff and will definitely quieten down your lifters as for the trunion upgrade there’s no real need to do that with your stock cam but if you’re planning to upgrade your cam then do it then

2_stroke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
The 20/50 has help yer doing cam while heads are out, the v2 kit is the same price. I’ll grab the mace it’s not like it’s ganna be running at 7k just a daily and fun a vcm21 grind maybe a bit more aggressive but nothing nuts. Just gotta get info on push rod lengths for cam and lifters and I’ll order up parts. Heads are a weeks turn around will give me some fun inbetween