Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz ss maf or mafless tune

Jamie_vzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss ls1
hi guys my 5.7 vz ss has 4 into 1 headers,cats out pipes (im in nz by the way)and a twin 2.5inch into single 3inch diff back catback system.everything eles is stock ,intake etc.
a tuner i spoke to recomended to maf tune because he feels there is little to be gained by going mafless on the vz because of the bigger maf/maff pipe and because i wont be going otr intake.well not anytime soon $900 nz dollars for one.
so basically do you guy think its still worth getting the tune?will the stock intake flow good enough to get a worth while gain.
cheers jamie.

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore SS 5.7L M6
Even on a stock car, a custom tune will perform better and consume less fuel than the factory tune. I'd expect to see better results with an OTR and MAFless tune vs standard intake with a MAF tune. But standard intake with a MAF tune is probably your best bet $/kw.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
Maf tune with otr is the best option. To do a maf tune the tuner first disables the maf and does a maf less tune using the map sensor then re enables the maf and tunes that to suit. So effectively you still have a maf less tune which is more refined due to it taking data from two sources. The maf in the vz's and later models isn't a restriction on a bolt on car so why remove it for no other reason then it's easier for the tuner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jamie_vzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss ls1
thanks for info ,yea maybe I will wait and get an otr they seem to be the way to go.cheers

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
All you'd need to do if you want to go OTR after a MAFless tune is a $200 touch up tune. You can still bolt the OTR on post MAFless tune and run the car fine. The other thing to think about is it is not just the engine that gets tuned, it is also the transmission if you have an automatic.
Have you contacted Jonathan at Harman Bros. Racing as i suggested?

Jamie_vzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss ls1
yea thats tru I will contact Jonathan and have a yarn