Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS Versus VZ Calais

crazy2009

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2005 VZ V6
**** sorry wrong just seen attachment above sorry guys

crazy2009

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2005 VZ V6
Well one thing confirmed my mpg is spot on infact slightly less on my 190kw calais

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
There is a difference if you check the specs on Carsales they have the SS at 250kw and the Calais at 235kw.

kngsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
theres no mention of l98 because no vz sedan had l98. i belive the ss thunder ute had the l98 but no sedan. correct me if im wrong

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
theres no mention of l98 because no vz sedan had l98. i belive the ss thunder ute had the l98 but no sedan. correct me if im wrong

The very late VZ V8's had the 6 litre L76 which had the DOD or AFM hardware in the motor but it was not activated. So there are probably two sets of power figures kicking around, 1 set for the LS1 5.7's and another set for the L76 6 lt. The L76 and L98 are the same motor but the L76 has the AFM lifters fitted but they were not working on the VZ as the software was not onboard.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
All Calais are Auto's maybe they tested the power with the auto in play therefor they're down on power

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
I have read somewhere that the Calais has a different muffler, which reduces the power from what the SS has.

Failing that, I'd put money on a tune as my VZ Calais feels a lot more 'sedate' to drive than my brother's VZ SS.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I have read somewhere that the Calais has a different muffler, which reduces the power from what the SS has.

Failing that, I'd put money on a tune as my VZ Calais feels a lot more 'sedate' to drive than my brother's VZ SS.

I think you are right there, I can recall when they were released reading something about a difference in the exhaust systems.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
if thats true i highly doubt a muffler will take 15kw off.. it will probably be both exhaust and the tune