Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ sv6 alternator problem, Lost all charge while driving

exellerant

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 manual
hey guys,

so yesterday i had a random check alternator warning come up on the screen. after doing some research here i followed the diagnostics screen and found the voltage at the time to be around 14v. think i hovered around 13.7-13.9 with lights stereo on.

driving home from work this morning, lights and stereo on, i got the check warning again, followed by my ABS faulting out and airbags faulting out, shortly followed by me losing all my dash power (speedo, fuel etc) then the car died, tried to restart but got the dreaded click click click.

ive been reading on here about charging issues, from what ive seen the VZ alternator doesnt have a regulator that can be changed and is controlled by the PCM?

so basically just after some ideas where i should be looking, either alt or PCM computer issues.

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
i had a similar problem about a month ago, and it turned out to be just a loose rusted main ground wire which had almost come off the chassis. the vz alternator is electronically regulated and i have never heard of a problem with it. did you try jump starting it off a healthy car to see if that makes a difference? it could be a fauly alternator

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight then as said check leads to/from Alternator.

Around 14v is a good charge rate how old is the battery?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
the vz alternator is internally regulated, ve's have the computer controlled alt's

jump start it with another battery, it is possible for a cell to colapse or short out in a battery making it go flat so to speak, if you jump it and check the charge rate (13.8 to 14.4) and seems fine, replace the battery, if you jump it and its not charging, i.e idle battery voltage anywhere from 11.8 to 12.6 volts, get the alt checked out

samsarge

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv8
vz sv8 same issues

Hey did you end up working out what the problem was? My car is sv8 and doing the exact same thing and having all different places saying its different things sick of wasting my money on testing crap. If you could let me no what the problem was that would be great..cheers :)

QUOTE=exellerant;2106656]hey guys,

so yesterday i had a random check alternator warning come up on the screen. after doing some research here i followed the diagnostics screen and found the voltage at the time to be around 14v. think i hovered around 13.7-13.9 with lights stereo on.

driving home from work this morning, lights and stereo on, i got the check warning again, followed by my ABS faulting out and airbags faulting out, shortly followed by me losing all my dash power (speedo, fuel etc) then the car died, tried to restart but got the dreaded click click click.

ive been reading on here about charging issues, from what ive seen the VZ alternator doesnt have a regulator that can be changed and is controlled by the PCM?

so basically just after some ideas where i should be looking, either alt or PCM computer issues.[/QUOTE]

Firey01

Fiery
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZSV6
Had all the above!
Found broken wiring to alternator! Repaired that
SRS warning light
Tried reset with keys??
Indicator stuck on when using keyless entry! Has since I got it!!
BCM issues is that right??
So then the alarm goes off! Gets stuck on! Removed fuse for horn!!
And that's where I'm stuck
What should I do ????

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
Had all the above!
Found broken wiring to alternator! Repaired that
SRS warning light
Tried reset with keys??
Indicator stuck on when using keyless entry! Has since I got it!!
BCM issues is that right??
So then the alarm goes off! Gets stuck on! Removed fuse for horn!!
And that's where I'm stuck
What should I do ????

do a search buddy, I cant remember the heading but its all in here, its only a cheap part that needs replacing in the bcm, just needs someone who can do electronic soldering

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
its a relay in the bcm, buy from ebay, solder in, hardest part is getting bcm out, google it on the jc site,

Cassy Clowes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yz comnodore itw
I broght a vz ss ute 3 weeks ago from melbourne and on the way from Melbourne i turned on the air conditioner and i drove another 10 kms and the car just shut down i was stuck on the side of the road we finally made it to a mechanic he has a new alternator repaired earth wires repaired charge volts to computer and checked all wiring to computer and have driven it home now and still have flat battery after 400 kms. Where do we look next

Last edited:

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
The battery it self may be cactus.
My last one went flat after not using car for a couple of weeks so charged it up with my trickle charger.
Next day went to shops and when i turned it off , No start again.
NRMA came and declared the battery (a NRMA battery) would not hold charge.
Luckily was still under the 3 yr warranty so received a new bigger battery as he didn't have my size and only paid the difference between std battery and new bigger one.