Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 exhaust crackle doesn't stop

Rileymax

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 Vz Commodore
Alright so, I have the basic exhaust for the VZ's
Pacemakers through to hi-flow to a 2.25" xforce catback
Now after I got the O2 sensor problem sorted after they finally decided there was too much flow, my exhaust now constantly crackles when changing gears/coming off the accelerator in general
Unless I give it a bit of accel, it doesn't stop
Is this because my O2 sensors have been disabled? Or might there be a hole in the piping or split in a gasket
And if it is the sensors, how can I sort that out without getting the power train light again

H

harrop.senator

If 02 sensors are unplugged usually runs rich as and thatd explain crackle as unburnt fuel being spat through the system. Could be a leak but youd usually have more symptoms then just off throttle crackle.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
In Australia, for on-road use, suggest that any vehicle with O2 Sensors disconnected would be deemed as un-roadworthy. O2 Sensors are a critical part of Pollution Control. Perhaps you may have to re-think your strategy if you wish to avoid a defect etc.

Rileymax

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 Vz Commodore
With all due respect, I'm not trying to sound like an ass but, the question was whether the O2 sensors were the reason for the constant crackle, not whether I would get defected

Rileymax

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 Vz Commodore
In Australia, for on-road use, suggest that any vehicle with O2 Sensors disconnected would be deemed as un-roadworthy. O2 Sensors are a critical part of Pollution Control. Perhaps you may have to re-think your strategy if you wish to avoid a defect etc.

With all due respect, I'm not trying to sound like an ass but, the question was whether the O2 sensors were the reason for the constant crackle, not whether I would get defected

H

harrop.senator

So out of curiousity man how did you come to the conclusion your motor outflowed the 02 sensors? People still run them on supercharged, turboed v6s and v8s i highly doubt your out flowing those engines. Or is it a common problem with alloytec 02 sensors their different to all the other sensors?

Bob33

Reaction score
Members Ride
e3 maloo
you can have lazy ( as my boss puts it) sensors but you cant out flow them. it is most likely because its running richer as harrop.senator said.

Rileymax

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 Vz Commodore
So out of curiousity man how did you come to the conclusion your motor outflowed the 02 sensors? People still run them on supercharged, turboed v6s and v8s i highly doubt your out flowing those engines. Or is it a common problem with alloytec 02 sensors their different to all the other sensors?
Well a few months after I put the exhaust on, the check powertrain light came on. So I took it to a local tuner, he hooked it up and disabled the O2 sensors which stopped the problem and after that, the crackling didn't stop

H

harrop.senator

He probably disabled them as they were stuffed and giving the wrong readings and showing error codes. Get two new ones get them re enabled fuel bill will go down car will stop crackling constantly. Just a guess.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The SV6 has 4 sensors, two in front and two behind the cats. The ones after the cats only read the change in O2 from the front ones so they tell the PCM that the cats are working. With high flow cats there is not enough change in the O2 level so the rear sensors will cause the engine light to come on as the PCM sees that the cats aren't working. Your tuner needs to disable the function in the PCM that reads the rear sensors and compares the reading to front ones, not just turn them off. The PCM will be over running the fuel to make the cats run hotter, this will cause your crackle. The front sensors are the ones that trim the fuel.