Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 Footwell Light issue

2agle_2ye

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Hi, Ive just been fiddling around and installing some LED strip lights below my dash for footwell lighting. I followed a guide made right here on just commodores https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-footwell-lighting.173359/.

However i've ran into a slight issue. When my door opens they come on perfectly no problems there however when I shut the door they don't quite turn off completely as shown in video below.

How do I fix this?

2agle_2ye

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
I did not use any relays or nothing I simply wired the negative of the strip to the door wire and the positive to the interior lighting black and orange wire :/

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Hi, Ive just been fiddling around and installing some LED strip lights below my dash for footwell lighting. I followed a guide made right here on just commodores https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-footwell-lighting.173359/.

However i've ran into a slight issue. When my door opens they come on perfectly no problems there however when I shut the door they don't quite turn off completely as shown in video below.

How do I fix this?

Connect the negative wire to BCM connector X4 terminal 22 which is white with a green tracer.
Connect the positive wires to the illumination relay feed which is 10 amps. The colour is orange with a brown tracer. This wire is found throughout the interior lighting curcuit. Test to be sure.

What sort of lighting are you going to install? Need the wattage.

I did not use any relays or nothing I simply wired the negative of the strip to the door wire and the positive to the interior lighting black and orange wire :/

Well its states in the thread you linked that you need to "Connect the negative wire to BCM connector X4 terminal 22 which is white with a green tracer"

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
So you used option one?
highlighted here is why it wont turn off straight away.If you want them to turn off straight away you need to connect it to the BCM.

Option 1: No switch
A: connect LED negative to ‘door wire’ (LEDs will turn on with door/unlock and turn off after timeout. There will be no other way to turn them on/off)
B: connect LED negative to ground (LEDs will always be on while driving, and will stay on for a while when car is off, until BCM timeout turns them off. very unlikely anyone would want this)
AB, there will do doubt come a time when you want the footwell lights to turn off or stay off and you cant. Not recommended.

2agle_2ye

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Yeah mate option one so that they come on when you open the door and then turn off and stay off when driving I don't wanna get too much police attention.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Door mode: comes on with unlock or door open, goes off after door close or timeout
The part in red needs to be deleted.
Should read;
Door mode: comes on with unlock or door open, goes off after timeout. which is about an hour.

2agle_2ye

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
So it's not the timeout like it is with the courtesy lamp or the doom lights? But I would've thought they would stay fully on until the hour timeout but when I shut the door they do turn off just not completely for some reason?

2agle_2ye

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
It actually says "Door mode: comes on with unlock or door open, goes off after door close or timeout" meaning it should go out when the door closes or if the door is open it will timeout.