Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz sv6 misfire

vycommy1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy acclaim
How are you checking the volts? Multimeter isn’t ideal for assessing battery health. The charge circuit should also be assessed.
Battery world can do that for you.

Low voltage can easily throw data signals all over the place as the ECM gets irregular data.

As for the ticking, it’s an odd one. Get the rocker/cam covers off. Inspect it all as best you can.

You could have a loose rocker under the cam or a worn valve seal causing some play.
Yes using multimeter, when I have reds on and turn lights on and heaters on I get traction lights flashing, abs, airbag fault. And volts go down to about 8.5 my understanding is that there isn't enough current in the battery and probably needs replaced?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Multimeter won’t tell you if the cold cranking amps are too low, internal resistance and if any of the cells are faulty.

yes the voltage drop is suss.

Mild surface corrosion across all the engine bay harness earths is expected now these cars are getting on. Go through all of them with a small brass brush or similar to clean them up and remove any minor corrosion from threads and surfaces.

Poor harness earths will also create gremlins.

vycommy1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy acclaim
Battery replaced and is good now, car going again I decided to try some 100 octane fuel from npd here in NZ as it has cleaning additives blah blah and it seems to run a lot better but still the odd hiccup, so I've put it down to dirty injectors or something similar

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
The other thing to check,
Is the multi pin plug/socket for the injectors, which is located under the side of the manifold, at the back on the LHS,
It has a RED slide lock to release it,
Check the pins/connects, clean them with contact cleaner of similar,
And when connecting them back up again, make sure the slide lock is in all the way to secure the connection.

PS: recently I had all of the LY7 manifold off to replace the thermostat and heater pipe o-rings, (did it from the top) a few weeks ago,
since then I have had one cyl 6 misfire, and that was last week, but I am putting it down to the cold, as I hadn’t driven it for 4 days,
But after about 30 seconds of idling rough, it had warmed up, and the miss disappeared, and has been running perfectly the past few days.

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
8.5 volts on reds is way too low
try unplugging the 2 wire plug underneath the abs module
and repeat test