Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 Oil Priming

Seanyb100

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sz6
Hi all. I've recently changed the timing chains on our V6 ecotec VZ. Was running well afterwards but wasn't getting correct oil pressure. Dropped the sump to check and it was the mandatory blocked pickup. I've cleaned it all out now, put the engine back together and now the engine won't prime the oil through to the pump. Is there any way to externally prime the oil pump on one of these engines, or am I back to ripping the sump off again to prime it up?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It shouldn’t need that. There is the possibility the pump is rooted.

Otherwise, what about using something like @07GTS uses to prime his oil galleries etc?

Or remove the filter and see if you can draw up some oil using a vacuum fill gadget connected to a compressor?

Seanyb100

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sz6
It shouldn’t need that. There is the possibility the pump is rooted.

Otherwise, what about using something like @07GTS uses to prime his oil galleries etc?

Or remove the filter and see if you can draw up some oil using a vacuum fill gadget connected to a compressor?
Thats what I thought too. I did the oil pickup clean up around 3 years ago and it just primed straight back up after that one.
Not sure that the oil pump would be stuffed because it was working fine before the change.
I might have to see what I can find to suck it up through the filter port.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
these guys dont have stock but this is what i got