Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz sv6 throttle body bored/ported ???

Deepo1985

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
If I was to get a second hand throttle body is it worth trying to port or bore it ? If so would the opening on the plenum need to be done aswell ? Only reason I ask is coz I have a v8 big mouth ss inductions cai intake and have changed the stock sv6 intake pipe with the 2 resonator pipes on it to a 175 intake pipe and I'm guessing the only other restriction is the throttle body and obviously the maf being smaller anyways .. Cars going to be tuned soon so just wanna see if its worth doing before I take it in ... Thanx

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Cost/time vs result would be minimal.

Deepo1985

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Cost/time vs result would be minimal.

I can get a second hand throttle body for pretty much nothing so that don't matter ... Porting it or boring it I would try attempt myself so that don't bother me either ... Just not sure if it has Enuff material on it to be done thats all ... What is the stock size ? And what would I be able to bore it too is what I'm mainly asking , I remember I seen it a long time ago but can't find the info anymore ...

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
My mate use to port them to I think 82mm from 78mm. He no longer does it though as the whole tb has to be pulled apart, the butterfly changed, it has to be spot on. It's probably not worth the effort to do it yourself, if you don't know what you are doing, but if your a machinist or fitter and turner, by all means give it a shot.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Also the 175 intake is no better than the 190. It is super small compared to a proper 3 inch silicone 90 degree out the throttle body to a 3 inch stainless steel pipework, that would offer better gains than the tb porting IMO.

Deepo1985

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Also the 175 intake is no better than the 190. It is super small compared to a proper 3 inch silicone 90 degree out the throttle body to a 3 inch stainless steel pipework, that would offer better gains than the tb porting IMO.

Thanx for the advice ... But wouldn't I be right when I say the maf itself is a restriction so no matter what size pipe you put after that would make any difference ? ... I do have a stock ls1 pipe I got when I got the growler kit and a ls1 maf sensor ... But the ls1 intake pipe wouldn't work coz 1 . It's to big to fit on the throttle body 2. It's to big to fit on the v6 maf 3. The other line that has oil in it won't connect becoz it would be female to female ... Also wouldn't stainless steel absorb a little more heat soak than the genuine plastic pipe ? I only changed the 190 intake pipe to the 175 pipe to get rid of the resonator parts

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
I have seen an adaptor plate on a performance site that let's you put an ls1 throttle body on a v6. But unfortunately I think it was for an ecotec. Have a look around you might find one. And yeah a plastic pipe is ideal as you want to keep your air as cool as possible. I don't think an ls1 maf would work with your computer but you never know.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Stainless will warm up a bit if you are sitting in traffic, will be nice and cold when your driving though. Believe me, I have been in the boosted alloytec scene, seen what works and what doesn't. At the end of the day, all these small things won't change much, might make it a piss in the wind quicker. If you want something that you can feel straight away that's not going to blow the bank is a used dif from a manual ss, ratio 3.46 or higher. I ran a supercharger on my car, still with the standard tb and maf, one of the quickest alloytecs, so they're not that restrictive. Even now, sv6 vz run a standard 15.3 down the 1/4, when you add how much a full exhaust, tune and air intake costs with a cpr6, you might run a 14.7. Add it up, 1500 for a cpr6, 1000 for a tune, 1200 min on full exhaust to achieve not much. That's 3700 for not much gain. Throw some boost in it, you will be ahead of most unopened v8"s, even the ve hsvs.

Lucky I still have my kit sitting in a box and its for sale. 13.4 all day every day, and only $3800.

Deepo1985

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Stainless will warm up a bit if you are sitting in traffic, will be nice and cold when your driving though. Believe me, I have been in the boosted alloytec scene, seen what works and what doesn't. At the end of the day, all these small things won't change much, might make it a piss in the wind quicker. If you want something that you can feel straight away that's not going to blow the bank is a used dif from a manual ss, ratio 3.46 or higher. I ran a supercharger on my car, still with the standard tb and maf, one of the quickest alloytecs, so they're not that restrictive. Even now, sv6 vz run a standard 15.3 down the 1/4, when you add how much a full exhaust, tune and air intake costs with a cpr6, you might run a 14.7. Add it up, 1500 for a cpr6, 1000 for a tune, 1200 min on full exhaust to achieve not much. That's 3700 for not much gain. Throw some boost in it, you will be ahead of most unopened v8"s, even the ve hsvs.

Lucky I still have my kit sitting in a box and its for sale. 13.4 all day every day, and only $3800.

Nah that's all fair enough , i know the throttle body ported ain't gonna make massive power gain and I know its just a small mod but every bit counts ... Everything iv done to my sv6 so far has been cheap and I havnt spent a fortune yet so I'm cheering .... V8 ss growler kit with the ls1 maf and intake pipe a guy gave me for $50 which I don't no why but that's that he said lol ....xforce extractors $250 fitted .... Exhaust is just a stock hsv full stainless steel 2.25 dual system $150 ...mace manifold heat insulators $130..... Diff is from a vy ss 3.07.1 LSD $ 100 .... Most expensive part was the 100 CPI hi-flow cats $600 fitted .... And now going in for a tune which is $800 ....... That's why I wanted to try port the throttle body because I got a spare one cheap so why not , and I did just find a guy in the states who ports single butterfly throttle bodies for $99 and that includes the post back fee ...I still wanna try my theory of getting a ve sv6 plenum/manifold as they are a little bigger than the vz sv6 ones and putting a ported throttle body on that and see what difference it makes ..... I refuse to spend $1500 on a cpr6 !!!! That's just a joke ...