Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz thermostat replacement

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
thermostat comes as part of housing for alloytec, $65 from holdens and autobarn

Deepo1985

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Thermostat is in a prick of a spot ... I took my manifold off to fix the o rings on the water inlet pipe and tried squeezing my hand down the back to get to the bolts for the thermostat housing and that was a b*tch ... I ended up nipping them up as they were a bit loose and it was leaking from there but I will have to replace the thermostat eventually as I keep having water leak issues ... As for the fluctuating with the needle I'm guessing its leaking and also sucking in air causing a air pocket ... If you bleed the radiator you will notice the needle will stay down untill it starts to get hot again and suck in more air from whereva its leaking from ... I top up my cooling system at least once a week with about half a litre and bleed the radiator from the top screw and the car runs ok but if I don't the needle gradually climbs higher due to a air pocket ... Also try replacing the radiator cap coz they tend to bigger up after the temp builds to high , also make sure you get the right one coz there's 2 types ... 120 kpa and 125 kpa

jake383

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 hbd vz calais
you can buy the thermostat by its self i have recently replaced mine and reused my housing

Deepo1985

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
you can buy the thermostat by its self i have recently replaced mine and reused my housing

Did you need to get any gaskets for the housing ? How did you do yours ? ... Pull things apart ?

Deepo1985

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
whats the right pressure cap then?

If its a vz then its 120 kpa ... Some later vz's have a different screw type cap ... I went to repco and they sold me one that was 125 kpa and said in the book that's what is used .... I tried it and it made my temp guage go crazy ... Just take your old one in and say you want the same one ...

jake383

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 hbd vz calais
yes i brought all the gaskets and orings seperatly i had my engine removed as i forged the bottom end and replaced it then

Deepo1985

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Ohh fair Enuff then .. I don't get what you mean by forgot your bottom end though ? ...

jg4053

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman
My therrmostat was leaking, coolant on the bell housing, found it best to replace the entire unit with seals a kit from Repco $55 and many hours of fitting it due to the tight place. The inlet manifold needs to be removed and then its just accessible from the top.