Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Thunder

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
That looks just like the damage I had on my Crewman. Under insured when values went through the roof. Got it repaired. All those panels are still available new.
I've been worried about mine getting written off if it gets into anything worse than a rear ender so going to be looking at changing insurance and see if I can get a better deal.

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I've been worried about mine getting written off if it gets into anything worse than a rear ender so going to be looking at changing insurance and see if I can get a better deal.
Shannon’s came to my aid.

Even RAC (who it was insured by at the time of the accident) said to change to Shannon’s.

It’s insured for what it would cost to replace now.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Shannon’s came to my aid.

Even RAC (who it was insured by at the time of the accident) said to change to Shannon’s.

It’s insured for what it would cost to replace now.
yea that's exactly why I'm shopping around, for what this is I don't think I could replace it for less than $30k if I want to get something equally as nice, and with very low KM, might not be able to replace it at all.

I didn't like the quote I got from shannons too much, seems like they are fine with mods and the car, but will be a lot more expensive. I made a thread for insurance recommendations in the VZ section so been getting some recommendations there. Going to try and insure it for at least 25-28k just so it doesn't get written off too easily in an accident.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Most importantly is that you get first option to buy it back. Then with the payout you would find another starting point. Swap the remaining good bits over.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Figure I should update this again now that I got the front end painted up. Headlights still need a better polish but it's getting there. Got a full top half respray done recently as well as the rear ender damage fixed under insurance. The only panels that didn't get repainted were both sides and the front bumper.

The exhaust was damaged in the crash too, so I thought just the cat back would be fixed but apparently it was all bowed and so I ended up getting a whole new exhaust as part of the insurance repairs too. I had the manta 3" stainless system on it before, but now has been replaced with the manta DPE system, which is a little bit quieter but still sounds decent. Pretty sure this is what is on there now, same 1 7/8" headers, and 3" cats and 3" cat back.

Hard to get under there for any pics but I tried, it sits really nicely and doesn't hang down too low anywhere, probably a slightly better fit than the old exhaust was.

Probably due for some new rear tyres too based on that last pic.
Old exhaust to compare, seems to hang a bit lower:

Next thing I need to do is give the engine bay a good clean as it's getting a bit grimey and there might be a bit of weeping or leaking starting to happen, need to clean it up and see how bad it is.

Last edited:

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
What do you guys think of the front grille now it's painted up? I think it looks pretty good, haven't seen any other VZ with this, makes it a bit more unique. I'm interested in honest opinions tho, if people think it looks good or ****.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’m a bit torn on those grills. Some cars it looks good, others not.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Thought this might be something a few people have some input or advice on. Looking at a cam upgrade in the near future, I already have big headers, full exhaust, intake and all the supporting mods to go with a decent size cam, will just need to pick a cam and get a package booked in somewhere. I'm not racing, drifting, doing track days, going to the drags, doing heaps of burnouts or anything crazy, this is just a daily and so I want something fun, but reliability is important too. Also mainly looking to add torque all through the rev range, not just max peak rpm power or anything silly, something fun to drive on the street. Also trying to work out what else to do at the same time, probably can't afford to do heads but things like lifters, trunion kit etc. Obviously will talk to the workshop and the tuner and get their recommendations on what has worked best in similar setups, but also would prefer to go in knowing roughly what I want. There's so much info and conflicting advice out there and I know some of you are very knowledgeable.

Have been doing some research on the weekend and quite like the look of this, it's big enough to know I've got a cam but apparently also still very streetable.

Been trying to get a better understanding of how the specs actually change the drivability and starting to grasp it but mostly have to rely on manufacturer descriptions or youtube vids which isn't super accurate.

Let me know what you guys think anyway, open to any advice.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Nothing too exciting today, fuel economy has been pretty poor recently, around 20-22L/100km, first step to addressing it I've changed the air filter and plugs, both definitely needed done. Passenger side is pretty easy, but the driver side is a little bit of a pain, especially the one at the back, but only took about half an hour.

Air filter also pretty easy, only took a few mins, I'm not sure if the old one could be saved with a wash and an oil or if it should just go into the bin.

The old plugs don't look too bad but definitely have reached the end of their life, not sure how to read them as I'm not super experienced, to me they look okay.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Did a bit of an engine bay clean up today. It's not perfect and didn't have time to do everything, but started from the top and degreased and cleaned as best as I could. Took off some important bits and tried to avoid the electricals as much as possible, was a bit worried about getting something that shouldn't be wet covered in water, but after putting it all back together it started :) Still more to do when I have more time but it's a start, will need to get at it from under the car which I couldn't be bothered with today, too hot, and probably need to go back in with an actual wash next time too and clean up the painted bits properly. Was actually surprised how much **** has accumulated in there, even found a couple of dead snails.. not the best place for a snail to end up.

Here's some quick before and after pics. Looking at the after pics.. could have probably done a better job :D

Before.

Half way.

After.

Last edited: