Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ V6 Rattle!

mattvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ S Ute
Rattle

You can get the stuff from here off the web
Its called thermo tec exhaust wrap , I used to use it on all my turbo cars , you can buy some very thin stainless clamps to hold it in place , but I didnt use any when I wrapped mine the heat shield did the job . also you should wet the stuff before wrapping it because it will form on the pipe better after it drys out .
I tell you it is so nice not to have that annoying rattle anymore

Matt J

Breno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder SS
Got my exhaust checked out by another exhaust shop,

It was what i thought, the rattling or resonating at 3000rpm was coming from the front muffler after the cats.

Apparantly the shop that i got the exhaust system done previously did such a **** job they tried to knock up a system for it and put mufflers were they wont spose to which added to the problem. Shattering after coming from a well known exhaust shop and spending the cash...And no i cant go back there cause it was done in sydney when i was there for a couple of months. lol.

Also got told the stainless steel substrate cats i got put onto it are wrong and contribute to the resonating as it allowing to much flow into the muffler causing it to resonate.

So got the cat back changed again:cry: and thankfully the resonating has toned down alot but not 100%... still kinda can hear it.

This seriously cant be normal for all alloytecs. should of just bought a 8! haha.

To get rid of it totally ive been told i might have to change the cats again:bang: to a ceramic hi flow type to slow down the flow a little. Any thoughts on that?

And are stainless steel substrate hi flow cats the same as metal hi flow cats... just a shorter term? just wanna clear that up.

Cheers

SaVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series II S V6 Ute
Thanks Matt. Had the rattle in my 6 cyl VY ute. Used your fix. She's as quiet as a mouse now.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Either heat shields on exhaust headers or down near the cats......... take them off, bend them out if u have to........... otherwise could be the brake disc sheild rattling agaist the disc

I did have the exhaust heat sheilds start to rattle.......... I got headers and racing CATS! WAM sound is gone lol

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
actually i meant to update this too

If you take the "heat shields" off dont leave them on your bedroom floor, because when you kick one at 3 am it almost slives your toe off :bang:

I decided to get off my you know what and put the "heat shields" back on (i still call them bash plates because thats what they do). I had a scare where I scraped the bottom of the car over concrete and the first thing that came to mind was "the exhaust is exposed when i should have a metal plate covering it"

Basically I did the above fix. I removed what was left of the original heat shielding from inside the metal shields (so the foamy stuff). Not nessecary I suppose but oh well.

Bought a roll of that exhaust wrap off ebay, $40 or something. Had waaay too much, only needs a few meters to do both sides.

Just wrapped around the exhaust pipe from where the shield starts to where it finishes, bolted them back on and wallah, no rattle since, this was 2 months ago.

I'll post some pics if I find them.

05 Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ alloytec Calais
Hey my vz calais v6 does that too and I took it to Holden to check out and after checking the heat shields they believe it is either a cat or resonator on the engine that has loose internals. It doesn't do it at idle but only on light throttle or deceleration. It sounds a bit like the engine is pinging if that helps anyone

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
Just rip the heat shields off under the front doors, they wrap around the exhaust and come off with a few nuts. I took mine off a while back and there has been no problem since.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
same same!

mine was rattling because of some rocks between the shield and the pipe. I put it back on and it kept rattling, so i bought some exhaust tape, with the theory it'll cushion the metal pipe and metal shield.

Lasted about a couple of months, then started rattling again (dont know why)

So I just took them off altogether, if their not there they cant rattle! Low and behold ... no rattles.

That was about 2 years ago now ... late 2008/early 2009 and havent had an issue. The only thing that concerned me was having no protection from bashing ie speed humps etc, but so far Ive got away with it.