Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ V8 starter motor

Ra Ra

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ Thunder. Red/Silver VN Calais 5lt manual.
Just completed this job with the help of a retired mechanic friend. Unfortunately we had to do it from underneath the car (VZ Thunder) because my exhaust manifold had a bolt sheared off from previous owner and if another broke would make it a more expensive scenario. So for anyone needing to do the same, it was a slightly difficult job (accessibility wise) and took 3.5 hours.

1. Unbolt and remove RH exhaust pipe from manifold up to where there is a join under middle of car. Unplug 2 oxygen sensors. Place aside.
2. Unbolt 2 bolts holding steering rack to chassis. Lower a little to gain access to starter.
3. Unbolt heat shield, starter and unplug wires. Remove.
4. Reassemble in reverse and don't forget exhaust sealer and I recommend anti-seize on bolts as mine were extremely hard to undo.

With the old starter I had clicking sound problems rarely then it got progressively worse over time. When the starter actually cranked it did so without any issue. Was told by a machinist/mechanic it could be an earth wire problem so had a secondary new earth installed. This didn't fix the problem.

Found a genuine new starter $255 and after installed starts every time beautifully and a whole lot stronger than before.

Last edited: