Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ & VY V8 Calais Questions

Z

ZaRnOw

Hello, I am about to finish my apprenticeship and I thought I would spoil myself. With either a VY or VZ calais V8.

Are there many common problems encountered with the VZ VY V8 calais, is there a better choice over one or the other? Are any problems eradicated between series 1s and 2s.

Is it better sticking to the LS1 on the VY or VZI then the L76 V8 on the VZII?

Whats the average lifespan on these engines, is it highly reccomended not buying a car over 150,000ks?

Any response will be helpful.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
When I bought mine I had no interest in buying an LS1. So I bought the only L76 Manual Turismo VZ for sale on Carsales in Australia at the time. I had to drive across 2 states to get it home.

Go the 6 Litre, you won't be disappointed.

Z

ZaRnOw

Sounds like both are good and I cant go wrong. VY or VZ they both look great.

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
I prefer the the VY shape over the VZ, but each to their own....it won't take much the get the ls1 up with the 6L, compared to the price differences between the two. Only thing really is the better flowing heads on the 6L.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I'd buy an ls1 up to sort of 200k banking on putting another 50 on it without major issues.

My vy ls1 has done almost 170, running 5w-30 and doesn't burn a drop.

I bought it at 145 ish and my repairs have consisted of standard items (oil, coolant, etc), as well as power steering pump seals and a new alternator.