Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Want to buy a socket set... Any advice?

M01ST

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VF SSV Redline, 02 VU SS Ute
KinChrome apparently was owned by 2 brothers who had a fight they went seperate ways and one made another company called Kc tools(the intitials of Kinchrome).

I dunno if this story is true had been told to me by 2 different sources.

Kc are worth the money they are fairly priced and are good tools.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Sidcrome and Kincrome are both excellent (I have both). I also have a full 400 something piece "Total Tools" kit which is supposedly made by Sidcrome under license. Very cheap in comparison and have survived the rattle gun quite well. The only defect was 1 screwdriver which was replaced no questions asked.

Reaper

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
ok, stanley owns sidchrome and ABW.

Both are good, stay away from kc air tools and trolley jacks but the rest of their tools are alright, In my experience the sidchrome ratchet spanners are more resilient than the kinchrome ones but they both work. Bahco seems to be pretty good but I havent had any real experience with them yet. maybe even try Stahwille if your after the good stuff. Oh yeah and those cresent sets on the last page or the ones ive played with anyway, the sizes on the spanners and sockets is a little off.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
ive got kincrome sockets, and snap-on rachets. got that combo, cause thats what my tradesman told me to get. he's been using same combo for over 10 years, everyday.

mind you though, i have an SP Tools 1/4" set that I was using to pull off starters and alternators for a good month before I upgraded. and that rachet is still going.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
^^^ now we are talking tools.
If you want the really good tools don't even think about going to bunnings or supercheap. Go to a tool shop or industrial place like coventry fasteners , total tools or something. Stahlwillie, Koken are great stuff. For most jobs any of the brands in this thread will do the job, some just not as well as others.
If you buy good sockets, spanners and screwdrivers you'll be set for a long time. Scrimp on the other stuff.

S2_VR_

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' M6 VY SS ute
bunnings is selling a Supatool 1/2" drive set for $99, saw it today, gonna go grab one tommorrow...

S2_VR_

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' M6 VY SS ute
oh, and only 2 days ago i bought a 1/4" drive set from Super Cheap Auto...FOR $10!!!! lol it was kinda an emergency, they still havent broken though!! hahahah

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
I might add try get something 1/2" drive, I think its the best all rounder size especially for automotive, and not much point getting a set with imperial sizes unless you specifically want them, you will hardly ever use them.

I purchased a Sidchrome 1/2" drive Metric socket set a few months back for about $170 - includes sizes 8mm-32mm, 1 ratchet, 2 spark plug sockets, 2 extensions, 1 speedbrace, 1 uni joint.. lifetime warrenty etc. Been a great set highly recommend it.

Sidchrome 14210 33pc 1/2" Metric Socket Set

saber

Reaction score
Members Ride
None - At the moment :)
KC Tools are Kingchromes cheaper version, still very good.

No there not.

Google "Kincrome" and go to their main website. You'll see that Kincrome are their premium brand, Supatool their "middle of the road" brand and Chrome Tech their cheapest brands. I've got both a Kincrome 1/4" socket set, and Supatool 3/8" socket set (which has long sockets included) and both have been fantastic thus far.

I would recommend (coming from a weekend backyarder here) getting yourself a breaker bar if it isn't included in the socket set you buy. It will save your ratchet, and allow you to undo those super tight bolts/nuts.

PS: KC tools are good as well.