Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wanting help/buy exhaust manifold for a vt stainless or mild steel which one ?

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
Not saying this is what these have but you can get rust in the weld effected zone in Stainless. I have seen it with my own eyes, and it does happen pretty quickly. The way stainless steel protects itself is that it does actually microscopically "rust" in a sense i.e. it forms a very very thin layer of Chromium oxide on the surface, but that thin layer protects/stops the oxygen from being able to go any deeper. When you weld the heat depletes the zone of chromium in effect making it like normal steel in the weld zone which can then get a small line of iron oxide or "rust" as we normally know it. When you weld stainless you should use a low carbon grade that is made to prevent this. So if you were using 316, you would specify 316L, 304, then use 304L. The L designating the low carbon.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Nice shiny stainless extractors are made with the wrong grade stainless, it's industrial 316 grade, same as kitchen sinks. They polish up nice, but are too hard and will crack. Exhaust grade stainless is 406, just enough nickel to stop corrosion, but they still "oxidise", which is steel's way of protecting itself. It's not rust.

You shouldn't have to replace anything else when fitting extractors to a VT V6. I've lost count the amount I have done.

I do a set of mild steel Wildcats that don't require modification or welding, they are a slip join onto the Y pipe and only need the front of the engine pipes cut to length. But they aren't as cheap as those Chinese ones on Ebay at $450 shipped.

D

devilly

sounds heaps good :) how much for the wildcats ? do they just bolt on easy as ? do they come with the gaskets or do i need to buy them ?