Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wanting people that have converted VS ECOTEC to manual.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Hi there.

Im just reaching the final stages of my conversion. ( working out odd little annoying bits ) I am stating this thread to contact anyone else that has done the conversion to make a guide with all the correct info you need in one thread. I didnt have too much trouble finding the info I needed, but it was a chore digging through thread after thread and gathering the info, then finding out what was bullshit etc.

Issues I had

-Exhaust Y pipe does not fit with a T5 gear box fitted. ( use Y pipe off My VP donor car, had to weld on nuts to it for o2 sensors)

-I read that you have to mirror balance your auto flex plate to your 8 bolt pre ECOTEC fly wheel, this is true. but I also read that the ecotec is internally balanced and the fly wheel must be neutral balanced. I can tell you this is most certainly not true!

So what else do people have to add about the VS ECOTEC auto to manual conversion?

big m

FIGJAM
Reaction score
Members Ride
vslll v6 2000 olympic series ute, 1997 pajero 3.5l
hey mate i would be more then interested in this thread as i am about to swap the auto in my ute for a t5 manual the things that have been puzzling me are what does everyone mean about mirro balancing auto flexplate? and do i need to swap the computer for a manual one and get something tuned so it doesnt stall i have no problems with the taking old box out and new box in and all that jazz but like you said the little fiddly things they are the important things i wouldnt mind knowing i can only have my ute off the road for as little time as possible i work 7days a week:)

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Yeh will I managed to get the conversion done in 8 hours, but I didnt do the exhaust or the ECU. I have been popping into the shed every couple of days to tidy things up like for instance. Tonight I have to replace my CV in the drive shaft because it was shaking and clicking -.-

You can do the conversion without doing the computer, but it will throw up fault codes and the car might stall occasionally when you stop at the lights etc.

You see what happened was I read on this forum that the fly wheel should be neutral balenced, so me always trying the cheap option first had my uncle machine the counter weight off. the damn car shook its tits off. $180 later and one wasted night.

002-2.jpg

because of this

001-7.jpg

At least my fly wheel is damn light!

big m

FIGJAM
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok so how much is the manual computer for it then and how much does the exhuast get in the way because like you there are a few conversion threads on here that i haev seen but they are somewhat different from each other

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Well I ran my old exhaust for a bit but I had to cut off a mount and it was pushed hard up against the T5 cross member and it hung down too low and found every single bump in the road, so thats no good haha

big m

FIGJAM
Reaction score
Members Ride
lol ohh well nothing a grinder and welder wont fix i am a panel beater so i have alot of tools to my exposal and a hoist:)

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
lol ohh well nothing a grinder and welder wont fix i am a panel beater so i have alot of tools to my exposal and a hoist:)

OMG! alright easy. just find an exhaust off a pre VS wreak. VN-VP series II motor ( manifolds different I think lol ) and weld a nut on to the drivers side pipe on the y pipe. Its a weird size, I dont know what it is. Just went through my bolt bucket till I found something, but it is a very strange thread though.

If you want to reduce vehical down time buy a ecotec flex plate ( plate the torque converter bolts to ) and take that with your fly wheel, pressure plate, clutch disc and fly wheel bolts to be mirror balanced, dont worry if your dont understand they will. Also what I did was change my pedal box the night before because you can still drive the auto with a manual pedal box.

hope this helps.

big m

FIGJAM
Reaction score
Members Ride
lol thanks mate so far i have got a manualbox brake and clutch pedals flywheel clutch new bellhousing and trim for $500 out of a running car i dont think it comes with the computer and not sure what condition the clutch is in but i know i have to get new bellhousing bolts thats no biggy do you know what else i would need someone said something about tailshaft but i dont know

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
yes you need the front half of the drive shaft. you will need a new spigot bush too. If you are getting your stuff from another car try get the zorst too.

big m

FIGJAM
Reaction score
Members Ride
yea the guy i am getting it all from is a bit of a backyard wrecker good bloke he has a few cars there he said he is going to give me everything i need to put it in but the more i read into it the more things i think i need that he didnt mention i will ring him tomorrow with a list and see what i can check off do you have any idea on how much a new clutch is