Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wanting to know what tools i need to service my commodore VZ Acclaim.

Batman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore Acclaim V6 VZ 2005
Hey guys i got a Holden Acclaim VZ V6 2005
And its due for its 90,000k service soon,
I am getting the warning message of having to service my car soon,
Also my battery died recently and ever since then i have a message saying my SRS airbags is faulty

What tools do i need if i'm going to service my car myself replace the parts change oil ect ect, so i can reset my service notification till the next one.
I have heard the airbags is just reset with a gizmo and same with the servicing?

Basically what device do i need to get in order to handle all this ?

PS i couldn't find anything in the other threads.

Cheers :)

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
Need a tech2 to check the airbag fault and reset. Most mechanics or auto electricians will do this, for a fee usually. For resetting the service soon message, hold the 2 buttons under the mode button and turn the key on. Then press & hold the set button until it beeps and resets, then turn the key off.

gradz

Land Yacht Lover
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange (Daily)
Mate, you will need a set of tools if you want to do your own servicing.

Go to a reputable tool supplier and talk to them about your service requirements and they will advise you. You can go from a basic set of tools for everyday stuff right up to a professional tool chest which could cost an absolute bomb. It's up to you how far you want to go.

As far as gismos are concerned, forget buying them and follow SID888's advice to reset warnings. A teck 2 clone is worth about $5,000 and you would never get the use out of it to cover the cost of purchase.

kiwikraut

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz my06 berlina
If I was you I'd probably look at scanning your ECU as well. When you say your car says service vehicle soon does it say service due 90,000km or (service vehicle soon) If it's the km one you can reset it with the button as described by SID888 but service vehicle soon can sometimes be a pain. I have a vz berlina and if my battery gets really low/dies srs airbag fault and other messages come up etc. With SVS, I had a faulty oil pressure switch. I can easily do minor self services with spanners, ratchet & socket screw driver etc basically nothing out of the norm. If you are looking at doing major things though I'm unsure.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
the SRS definately need a tech 2 or similar.
Its a safety issue which is to force you to take it back to a mechanic to have checked out whats caused it, even if you know what did.

While its on you have no SRS systems, so no airbag

From memory Service Vehicle Soon can also mean an issue, I'm pretty sure thats what popped up when my oil pressure sensor went which was found via a diagnostic tool.
then again if you reset it and it comes back a short time later, thats pointing to a problem - which is what I did and it came back about an hour later after each reset.

As for the tools, depends what you want to do.

Oil change - Sump Plug is a 13mm bolt, and I think its a 24mm socket to unscrew the filter housing. Add a drain pan to drain the oil into, and perhaps a funnel to fill the oil and thats all you need.

Air filter - are 3 phillips head screws to pop the top off.

Spark Plugs - cant remember the size, but you need to take off some nuts to pop off the inlet manifold. I think theres some phillips head style hose clamps to remove the inlet piping - its been a little while since Ive played with an Alloytec. Then youll need a spark plug socket to remove/replace them.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
It is commendable that you would wish to service your own vehicle, HOWEVER, in my opinion if you have to ask someone which tools are required then I'm sorry but I do think that you are lacking in experience and skills. Modern vehicles are very complicated machines (compared with 20 or so years back). Whilst it is not impossible for a 'novice' (non-technically trained/qualified) person to maintain their vehicle, when working with brakes and otherr safety features it is critical that person doing so knows what they are doing. Perhaps you could enrol at a TAFE or Adult Education Learning Centre and do some courses on vehicle maintennance etc. In the long run it may save you a lot of heartache and money. Good luck.

DAZ88P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Wagon

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
It is commendable that you would wish to service your own vehicle, HOWEVER, in my opinion if you have to ask someone which tools are required then I'm sorry but I do think that you are lacking in experience and skills. Modern vehicles are very complicated machines (compared with 20 or so years back). Whilst it is not impossible for a 'novice' (non-technically trained/qualified) person to maintain their vehicle, when working with brakes and otherr safety features it is critical that person doing so knows what they are doing. Perhaps you could enrol at a TAFE or Adult Education Learning Centre and do some courses on vehicle maintennance etc. In the long run it may save you a lot of heartache and money. Good luck.
i was thinking the same.. its like when some says wheres my oil filter. drop the bonnet fool and dont touch nothing.