Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Warning about altezza headlights

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Just a bit of a warning to anybody who has or is intending to have the clear altezza headlights for the VR/VS. I purchased a set off ebay in Sept 2004 and thought that they were great. I have had no problems with them until today. This morning I noticed that the internal reflector has come away from its seal and has split in the middle ON BOTH HEADLIGHTS in the exact same position. I have not had an accident or any sort of run in while the headlights have been installed. The housing of the headlight, the glass front and rear plastic are in perfect condition, not even a stone chip. The only thing I can put it down to is maybe heat on a poor seal, whether it is heat from the lights at night or from the sun during the day. During the weekdays I park the nose of my car under a tree, there shouldn’t really be any sun hitting the lights at all. At all other times the car is garaged.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250103057464

Above is the set of lights that I purchased. I am not sure whether there are different manufacturers of these lights?

I have contacted the seller in the hope of getting a fix that way, but I don’t like my chances. My other option is maybe to try and open the headlights, which I don’t think I’m going to be able to do. They are sealed with glue, trying to open them will possibly damage the lights.

I really like the look of the altezza lights, but I don’t think I would be buying another set. Not if it going to cost me $200 and last little over 2 years. I purchased these back when they were just being released, so I have probably had them a little while longer than most people, but wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

100_5695.jpg

You can see the reflector has come away from the seal.
-------------------------------------------------------

100_5696.jpg

The crack in the middle of the headlight down the bottom.

100_5697.jpg

The crack in the middle up the top of the headlight.

100_5698.jpg

The reflector has moved out of place by about 2 or 3 cm, so you can see the wiring behind it.

100_5699.jpg

Crack on the other side in the exact same spot
--------------------------------------------------------

100_5701.jpg

The headlight in otherwise good condition. You can see the crack at the top and down the bottom just to the side of the high beam reflector.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I would say the crack is what probably caused the reflectors to come away. The crack looks like it is in line with the rubber stoppers on the bonnet. Over time with the continuous shutting of the bonnet, it may have cracked them. Just thinking aloud.

shumway

Son of satan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 6/71 blown and injected 355 V6
id had this problem from new when i purchased a set from a reputable sydney dealer,they would not cover the warranty so i put up with it until the accident last year,iv purchased another set and havent had any prob since

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I would say the crack is what probably caused the reflectors to come away. The crack looks like it is in line with the rubber stoppers on the bonnet. Over time with the continuous shutting of the bonnet, it may have cracked them. Just thinking aloud.

Hmmm good point Not_An_Abba_Fan. Will have to have a closer look.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
just a thought, but you can heat the sillicone holding the glass to the plastic housing with a heat gun or a hair dryer, and then clean the reflective material off and re-coat it, sillicone it up and re-seal, should be all good.
http://www.freecarkits.com/clearheadlights.htm

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Thats a damn nice car man, Mine is riddled with stone chips!!!!

Did you get your front end resprayed??