Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

warped rotors?? I doubt it

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Totally on topic here now.

you need special ones for electric impact guns

What's the deal with that?

All I need to do is remember the torque settting of 170nm - easy!

170nm Seems like a lot, sure it's not foot pounds? I've had factory manuals specify 100nm for flywheels.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The VE /VF is a heavy and quite powerful car with larger than normal wheel studs and nuts so yes 170Nm is correct.
My supercheap rattle gun can't undo them :( any suggestions on a decent value gun for home that will do the job ??

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The VE /VF is a heavy and quite powerful car with larger than normal wheel studs and nuts so yes 170Nm is correct.
My supercheap rattle gun can't undo them :( any suggestions on a decent value gun for home that will do the job ??

Hmmm, rattle gun can't undo them? Think I'll stick to my cross brace, lol.

So if everybody is doing them to 170nm, does that mean they can't take it off when they get a flat? Cause that 100nm I mentioned before was a fair bit.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
170nm Seems like a lot, sure it's not foot pounds? I've had factory manuals specify 100nm for flywheels.

I’m pretty sure. I purchased the quoted torque wrench because to had the required torque range. IIRC, the VE and VF have bigger wheels studs (14mm?) and have a higher torque spec. The pre-VEs have 12mm(?) studs and have a lower torque spec (~120nm?).

I’m happy to be proved wrong.

Last edited:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Hmmm, rattle gun can't undo them? Think I'll stick to my cross brace, lol.

So if everybody is doing them to 170nm, does that mean they can't take it off when they get a flat? Cause that 100nm I mentioned before was a fair bit.

I find that a 450mm breaker bar works reasonably well, but still requires a bit of effort.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
^agree, with a breaker bar or the factory extendable tyre lever getting them undone is not difficult. At worst you just stand on the lever and it comes undone. Doing them up with my 1/2 torque wrench actually feels underdone to me. If I get stuck somewhere changing a wheel freehand I end up going well over 170Nm.
I just bought a rattle gun cos I always wanted one and thought it would speed up getting the wheels off when I wanted to.
Sadly it doesn't :( ;(
At least it came free with the compressor...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What size compressor? If it's a baby one they loose pressure to quickly to drive a decent size air tool. I now use Milwaukee m 18 fuel 1/2" rattle gun. No trouble getting a set of wheels off/on but I still use torque wrench for the final step 120nm for m12 thread.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Immortality, it's a 180L / min with a 40 litre tank. I think the compressor is big enough and think/hope it's the guns fault. Too cheap and no guts.
I wait till the compressor is fully charged then try the gun several times and it won't get 1 nut off and the compressor doesn't kick in again for a fair while so I don't think it's a problem with pressure drop. 10 metre hose 9.5mm ID. A larger hose might help a bit?
Wish I'd gone cordless now too. Have drooled over them before but forgot about them when I started thinking compressor!!
Compressors are cool though yeah! ;)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Have a look over the rattle gun. Some have a knob that adjusts how much grunt they have. Compressors are great, that one sounds reasonable. Also check what pressure the compressor stops at. I increased mine to 120PSI which helped until the compressor died.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
This one lists a max working pressure of 115psi. The pressure nob seems really dodgy and doesn't do much At all. I'll try to borrow a good gun and see if it gets the nuts off in a flash or had the same issue.

Bit of a thread hijack here sorry guys !!