Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Warranty Grief

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I thought I’d share Andrew StPiere-White’s warranty struggle with Toyota.

We all dislike companies sidestepping ACL, and with motoring enthusiasts, treating them like they know nothing. Unfortunately for them, we do.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The related video mentioned in Andrew’s video.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I especially like the question he has put to Toyota themselves in relation to training.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
I couldn't sit through Auto Expert's video, too much waffle. I know someone who just bought an LDV ute, will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I have a 2019 200 series. At the last service (~15,500km on the clock ) I had the rotors machined under warranty as they were warped. Toyota tried to bullshit their way out of it but did it after agreeing that it was **** in anybody's language.

On top of it my car had developed the black soot issue which is common on the V8's, with revised parts being rolled out sometime in 2020 which rectified the issues. This is a $20k engine out job - injectors, dpf, egr and assorted ancillaries replaced. Based on what I was reading on the Facebook 200 series owners page I was expecting a massive battle. My dealer however was very very good on this issue. Warranty and loan car approved within a few days and it was all done within approx one month.

So yeah can be hit and miss in both warranty claims and also Toyota reliability.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I couldn't sit through Auto Expert's video, too much waffle.
Yes his style is something of an aquired taste but if you mentally filter out his tangential babble, his video make some interesting points which make them worth a watch...

As for Toyota, I suspect they have learnt a bit of a lesson after their recent court loss so may be that helped with your engine issues to be handled more appropriately under warranty as compared to the rotor saga.

As to the rotors, I'd have wanted new rotors instaled rather than having the original get 1/2 their life or more cut away during the machining process... Still. it's a win...

The real win is to never have car issues but that's a bit of a pot luck type game even with Toyota (who are renound for quality) :rolleyes:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would have slammed down an extra thousand on the bonnet of a new car and said winner gets it.