Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

weird dash problem

mfbrown89

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
his guys, hoping some of you might be able to help me track down the source of my problems with my VT's dash.
first some back ground;
replaced whole engine 2 months ago, total recon.
every thing else is origional, aside from the stereo :D
v6 automatic, 350km on car 15km on new block

and now the problem:
has been running like dream since the engine transfer, that is untill last week.
driving down the road when suddely the car stalls, or so i think. turn the key in neutral and to my amazement the engine is still going and the dash has **** it self. showing no revs, all lights on. then as suddenly as it happened it sprung back to life as if nothing had ever happened.
now it will work fine for the first five mins of driving and then periodically 'shutdown' show no revs, all lights and then act as if i have just started the car and go though all the usual warnings when i turn my car on, in my case the annoying fault sound that indicates a problem with the airbags etc.
even 'shut down' the spedo stil works but nothing else, its as if it sitting in accessories.
the car still runs fine however and there is no change in performance.
i havent got a clue where to begin fault finding as i have no electrical knowledge about the car haha give me a ratchet and ill build it, but a soldering iron and im lost.
HELP ME GUYS

Mike

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It could be a problem with the voltage regulator on the alternator. Check the voltage at the battery terminals with the engine running and see what you get. It should be around 14.4 volts, I'm guessing yours will be around the 16 volt area. Also check the clamps are tight on the battery terminals and the connections at the alternator are good.