Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

weird issue with dash/taillghts

azza91

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim s2
hey guys i have a weird problem with my vr acclaim, well actually 2 problems but they could be connected.

first problem is when i apply the brakes, the parkers and dashlights etc come on and go off after i take my foot off the brakes.

second is when i have the headlights on the middle, boot mounted brakelight is constantly illuminated.

would these two problems be connected in anyway? how would i go about fixing these issues?

thanks aaron.

thunder62

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz thunder ute 2006 6ltr
i would trace the wires from the tail lights to the foot brake pedal to see if u have any broken wires that may be touching eh other or bad earth.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Also if the car has a trailer electrical connector, check the wiring in the plug etc, Ive seen broken/shorted wiring in the trailer plug cause similar stuff to happen..

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Chances are you have a single filament globe in a twin filament socket. (an indicator globe in the park tail socket)

When you hit the brakes, the power jumps from the brake pin to the park pin due to the contact at the base of the globe bridging the pins. This feeds voltage back down the park circuit and turns on the dash lights.
The reverse happens when you turn on the headlamps.

Check the brake globes.

azza91

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim s2
yes the car does have a trailer plug so i will check that out.

i will loom at the globes as well. thanks for your ideas

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hey azza, replaced any stop / tail globes recently ?
I'll bet one of your stop light globes ( the combined stop-tail globes ) has been turned too far and is now sitting across the terminals for both circuits thus connecting your brakes to your tail lights and head lights so every time you brake the parkers come on. Unfortunately it comes down to holden using crappy globe holders and someone rushing the job of replacing globes. Happened to me and i only noticed driving through a dark tunnel going to work. Fit ASAP before it ####s up your dash and radio.
Good luck.