Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird noise from amp

VPFreak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
What do you mean IQ speaker wires? If you mean the speaker outputs from the HU that's wrong itself. You use a different type of amp plug doing it that way. RCA's leads are only there to give you a signal to the amp.

That’s correct. I installed it myself based on how they instructed me. They actually said to cut the ends off the rca and wire them to the speaker outputs. Instead I installed the female rca so it was neater and plug and play.

The amp only has rca inputs and has a button to choose high or low input.

I will try grounding the rca on the headunit end and check the antenna ground.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Before you do that try grounding each neg RCA jack on the amp using a ring terminal and wire going to a solid ground like a seat bolt or seat belt bolt, depending where you have it. I'm afraid I'm old school and using speaker wires from the head unit used to go into high output wires and jacks on the amp not RCA. RCA used to be for RCA and nothing else. Never done it the way they told you. It wasn't that long ago amps used to have both types of jacks.

VPFreak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Before you do that try grounding each neg RCA jack on the amp using a ring terminal and wire going to a solid ground like a seat bolt or seat belt bolt, depending where you have it. I'm afraid I'm old school and using speaker wires from the head unit used to go into high output wires and jacks on the amp not RCA. RCA used to be for RCA and nothing else. Never done it the way they told you. It wasn't that long ago amps used to have both types of jacks.
I’ll give that a try.

I must admit that it sounded strange when they told me to wire it this way however it did work perfectly until now.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
amps must have different internals now. Older amps had the other plugs and ports that had a few wires coming out of them to connect straight to speaker wires from the HU specifically designed for HU's without RCA's as well as the RCA's for aftermarket head units. Just checking you know that the outer of the RCA plug is the neg?

VPFreak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Thanks all. Unfortunately I have now tried all suggestions and the noise remains. I’m hoping that the amp is the issue and it will be a swap out and fixed result. I’ll update you after I get back to the supplier which will probably be Saturday. It was a brand new wiring kit, so apart from something else happened to the headunit I’m stumped.

VPFreak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Solved. A speaker wire had shorted to earth due to getting caught on the window mechanism. I have made sure all wires are now insulated and secured away from the window. All fixed now.