Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

weird sound when starting VT. starter motor?

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
Hey people, I really do appreciate you taking the time to look at my post.

MY 98 manual VT commodore has just started making this noise every time it starts. It use to do it once a blue moon and now it's happening every time. The car has very high KM's (375xxx) and is on LPG.

Is it the starter motor? If so what am i looking at for replacing it?

Please watch this Youtube video so you can hear the noise it makes. It is not a spam link or anything...you won't get rick rolled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58y_A3xbK4k...eature=youtu.be

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, i want to sell my car but i want this fixed before i do!

Thanks
Joe

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Im not sure its the starter, coz while its cranking it sounds fine. Have you still got the key in the start position when it makes that noise?

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
Thanks for your reply, It makes the noise after i have turned the key and it's just in it's 'on' position (if that makes sense). So it makes the noise just after it turns over.

I've had other ppl suggest it is the starter motor. It has never been replaced so it probs the problem.

cheers

peak200_0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S/C Calais
Sounds like the starter pinion is not disengaging from the Flywheel until a couple seconds after releasing the key to the run position. The noise you hear is the engine back driving the starter sprag clutch . Remove the Starter & Check the pinion return spring hasnt broken or lubricate the starter motor shaft where the pinion slides it could have 375k km worth of crud jamming it up.
Rgds Alan

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
Thanks mate,
What about the 'ring gear'? could it be the teeth on that are worn?